2004 Nissan Frontier Consumer Review: Will not buy another Frontier

2004 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Review

XE King Cab (2.4L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual 6.2 ft. Bed)

Will not buy another Frontier
By Scot on

2004 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This truck is very slow. I know it is a 4 cyl, but it has this habit of shifting into the highest gear when I need it the least (going uphill and accelerating). When I need to accelerate, I have to either press the pedal 1/2 way down to shift, or push the Over Drive button on the shift lever. Speaking of which, you can't shift into a lower gear if you have something plugged into the cigarette lighter. The shift lever is in the way. Also, the plastic plug to the cigarette lighter is always falling out. DO NOT DRIVE this truck in the snow. It will not make it up even the slightest of grades. Even with XL tires, the back end is very light and slips everywhere. Don't buy this death trap.

The only good thing is that the engine runs, and strangelly it pulls a trailer pretty well for a 4-cyl. But, it sucks gas like a 6 or 8 cyl, no matter how much you baby it. I probably would have been better off with a 6 cyl, 4x4 but I didn't have an extra $7K to spend.

Changing the oil on the Frontier is very difficult. Every car I have had is a breeze but not the Frontier. Underneath the truck, you have to remove this flimsy, dirty flap out of the way and snake your hand through perfectly to reach the oil filter, tearing up your arm in the process.