Used 2004 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Frontier

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

DARN GOOD TRUCK
By walter-911T

2004 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE-V6 4WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased 04-dr. frontier 4x4 xe-v6. (xtra value pkg incl.) I brought this truck just on consumer reviews and prof. reviews. The Flag-pole nissan 30 miles delivered to my dad upstate ny home. I was a little p/o when the truck wasn't prepped, low on fluids in the truck. There was a prob.engaging the tran. P to D. was getting worse. Did bring it back to the d/s. I did express the lack of prep. and trans. The service mngr. was prof.&courteous. ALL IN ALL THEY TOOK CARE OF ME. All fluids were taken care of and the shift linkage had to be adjusted. U should here a click when stepping on the brake pedal to engage the gear-shift. Drives like a german car/truck.Great!- SOLID,HANDLES,& QUIET.

Favorite Features

Enjoy the driver friendly controls and ride of the truck. The right size. Very surprised, U can enjoy driving (handling) thru country/curvy roads with a grin and no squealing tires. PLUS-enjoy the look-ganite/gray. and nice rims. ALL GOOD. LOw fin. charges and rebate..

Suggested Improvements

Needs more power--but there is an o/d..all good. It does cruz nice. That's why there is the 05-more weight and bigger engine-more gas(physics) The box size is almost the same....

Cramped and Weak
By Joe.C

2004 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE-V6 4WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I made a big mistake purchasing this vehicle. The cabin is the most cramped of any vehicle I have ever driven. I am 6'0" with a 33-34 inseam in pants and my knee always managed to hit the steering wheel no matter where the seat was. The seats were horrible. I could not drive for more than 30min without pain. The gas mileage was beyond terrible. The engine is super weak. I only put 5500 miles on it and I had squeaks in the suspension and rattles in the windows. The steering was very vague and numb. The rear end shuddered when no load was in the back. What a mistake! I have since purchased a used 02 Ford Ranger XLT and I am very happy. The room, features and ride are so much better.

Favorite Features

None, ok maybe the cluster illumination. I liked that it was a negative of day time viewing

Suggested Improvements

Don't buy this truck and you will be ok. The 05 Frontier is great improvement, but when it comes to trucks Ford has got there stuff together. I know people might disagree. I am a technician and I know there are problems. But overall quality is definitetly better.

Great little truck,
By Dave

2004 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Had the truck for about 3 months now, with alittle over 2000 miles. Truck has been great, no problems. Have the 4 cylinder, starting to get better gas mileage. Wasn't good to start with, but now getting around 26 in the city. I haven't had it on the highway since it was new so that mileage on the highway is probably better. Picked up a good deal at the end of the year with the rebates.

Favorite Features

Just the right size, enough power for what I need, good gas mileage, roomy,

Suggested Improvements

none

Frontier on the Edge
By wcoward

2004 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The truck is the hardest working small truck on the market. The interior is laid out so that everything is in reach of your fingers. It's 4-cylinder motor is powerful enough to pull anything you want, except a house, a 30 ft boat, a travel trailer, or a horse trailer. If you needed to pull those things, you should have gotten the Titan. I work at a grocery store. I use my truck to pull trailers full of buggies, pallets of product, or anything we need to. One of my customers has a 97 Nissan pickup. He hauls about 200 cases of cold drinks in it, and it hasn't missed a beat. He's got 270,000 miles on that truck.

Favorite Features

Air conditioning, my last truck didn't have one.

Suggested Improvements

All the improvement I think they could have made to it, they did in the 2005 model

Not worth the money
By jk

2004 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is the worst truck I have ever owned the gas mileage is really bad 8 miles to the gallon I have had it in the shop 10 times for leaks transmission trouble power window trouble and engine trouble

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage inspect the truck before putting it on the lot for people to buy