Used 2004 Nissan Frontier XE King Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

The Good, Bad and Ugly
By JonR

2004 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My 2nd Nissan Pickup-last was a '98- great-this one not quite as good. This one had good ride, dependability, great mileage. Owned 6 years, 42,000 miles- same tires mileage between 25 and 28 normal, and on trip to Yellowstone, 32+ amazing! Range 290- 330 miles 'cause gas gauge design always made truck look like it was running out! Full was 9 O'clock, 1/2 was 7 pm and empty was 6 PM. Very bad on confidence. Overall, truck performed ok but emission controls choked what could have been more horsepower. Problems were, Steering wheel squeaked from new, Oxy sensor failed, Parking brake cable fell off mount, Horn quit in snowy winter, rattle in headliner. All in all a good truck but some small issues

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, Comfortable cabin, reasonable ride, decent if not great performance, good workhorse.

Suggested Improvements

Shoot the instrument designer!! Grey on white instruments in a tunnel! Impossible to see on gray day. Gas gauge always looks empty! Add cruise control (V6 had it!)

A fun little truck
By willy

2004 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

A neat small truck with great mileage and pretty good performance even with the small engine. It has been trouble free and is really fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Manual transmission and styling are my favorite features.

Suggested Improvements

Dash lights could be brighter but cabin layout is fine,

Will not buy another Frontier
By Scot

2004 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This truck is very slow. I know it is a 4 cyl, but it has this habit of shifting into the highest gear when I need it the least (going uphill and accelerating). When I need to accelerate, I have to either press the pedal 1/2 way down to shift, or push the Over Drive button on the shift lever. Speaking of which, you can't shift into a lower gear if you have something plugged into the cigarette lighter. The shift lever is in the way. Also, the plastic plug to the cigarette lighter is always falling out. DO NOT DRIVE this truck in the snow. It will not make it up even the slightest of grades. Even with XL tires, the back end is very light and slips everywhere. Don't buy this death trap.

Favorite Features

The only good thing is that the engine runs, and strangelly it pulls a trailer pretty well for a 4-cyl. But, it sucks gas like a 6 or 8 cyl, no matter how much you baby it. I probably would have been better off with a 6 cyl, 4x4 but I didn't have an extra $7K to spend.

Suggested Improvements

Changing the oil on the Frontier is very difficult. Every car I have had is a breeze but not the Frontier. Underneath the truck, you have to remove this flimsy, dirty flap out of the way and snake your hand through perfectly to reach the oil filter, tearing up your arm in the process.

Solid Reliable and a great value
By k374

2004 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my '04 for 4 years now. Just got done with a 1500 mile trip to Lake Tahoe and not a single problem, fuel economy average was 26.95 mpg!!! It's true that it lacks power but just use the lower gears and you will be just fine! I have towed 2000 lbs regularly without issues. As far as reliability goes, it is GOLD, I haven't had a single problem so far. In the last 4 years and 55,000 miles I only had a flat tire once!! For the money you can't get anything better in the entry level compact truck segment.

Favorite Features

Looks, solid reliability, bed extender, bedliner, ABS works terrific in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

Power needs to be increased to at least 170 hp, get rid of the sliding rear window as it enables thieves to break-in, improve the brakes.

Tapioca
By ssj

2004 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned the Frontier for over 8 months now, and I am selling it today. Any major problems? No, just a coolant leak. Maybe I am too young and immature yet, but the truck, while not bad in any particular way, is just not what I was looking for. I would keep it if perhaps if I needed a truck and wasn't using it as a daily driver.

Favorite Features

Bed extender, and the truck can actually hold quite a bit of weight. Get the 5 speed, I can't imagine how slow the automatic is. Reliable truck.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage averaged 23 mpg with my sensitive driving and flowmaster. I've calculated it up to 26 once if I tried to hypermile - but I'd spend all day from point a to b. No cc and I think my biggest complaint was gas tank size. I couldn't get 300 miles on the highway with a 13 gallon tank.