2004 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:
The Good, Bad and Ugly
By JonR on 11/19/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My 2nd Nissan Pickup-last was a '98- great-this one not quite as good. This one had good ride, dependability, great mileage. Owned 6 years, 42,000 miles- same tires mileage between 25 and 28 normal, and on trip to Yellowstone, 32+ amazing! Range 290- 330 miles 'cause gas gauge design always made truck look like it was running out! Full was 9 O'clock, 1/2 was 7 pm and empty was 6 PM. Very bad on confidence. Overall, truck performed ok but emission controls choked what could have been more horsepower. Problems were, Steering wheel squeaked from new, Oxy sensor failed, Parking brake cable fell off mount, Horn quit in snowy winter, rattle in headliner. All in all a good truck but some small issues

A fun little truck
By willy on 02/08/10 15:11 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

A neat small truck with great mileage and pretty good performance even with the small engine. It has been trouble free and is really fun to drive.

Will not buy another Frontier
By Scot on 01/06/09 09:27 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This truck is very slow. I know it is a 4 cyl, but it has this habit of shifting into the highest gear when I need it the least (going uphill and accelerating). When I need to accelerate, I have to either press the pedal 1/2 way down to shift, or push the Over Drive button on the shift lever. Speaking of which, you can't shift into a lower gear if you have something plugged into the cigarette lighter. The shift lever is in the way. Also, the plastic plug to the cigarette lighter is always falling out. DO NOT DRIVE this truck in the snow. It will not make it up even the slightest of grades. Even with XL tires, the back end is very light and slips everywhere. Don't buy this death trap.

Solid Reliable and a great value
By k374 on 12/29/07 15:07 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my '04 for 4 years now. Just got done with a 1500 mile trip to Lake Tahoe and not a single problem, fuel economy average was 26.95 mpg!!! It's true that it lacks power but just use the lower gears and you will be just fine! I have towed 2000 lbs regularly without issues. As far as reliability goes, it is GOLD, I haven't had a single problem so far. In the last 4 years and 55,000 miles I only had a flat tire once!! For the money you can't get anything better in the entry level compact truck segment.

Tapioca
By ssj on 07/03/07 05:26 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned the Frontier for over 8 months now, and I am selling it today. Any major problems? No, just a coolant leak. Maybe I am too young and immature yet, but the truck, while not bad in any particular way, is just not what I was looking for. I would keep it if perhaps if I needed a truck and wasn't using it as a daily driver.

Great Value, Quality & Reliable
By Keith on 02/23/07 06:04 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

You cannot go wrong with this truck or really any Nissan. Good quality and no issues to report. Great acceleration and power for size of engine and vehicle. Own the 5 speed and had cruise installed at dealer when purchased new.

Efficient, Great Truck
By JK on 02/09/07 05:21 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Owned truck since new for over two years now. Very dependable, not issues to report at this point. Gas mileage is around 27 in the city and around 30 on the highway (5 speed manual). Doesn't feel like a 4 cylinder. Pulled a 2000lb trailer with plenty of power still.

Great for the price.
By Burt on 05/14/06 19:02 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This small truck was exactly what I needed for a new sales job, inexpensive, small, some carring ability and good gas milage. I have been back to the dealer twice to fix a noise in rear when braking, problem still exists. Fun and semi peppy to drive, sporty feel. It should be faster for a 2400cc, 16 valve engine, Gas mileage was 22, I thought it should be better for a 4 cylinder mini truck, K&N air filter and Flowmaster exaust improved it by 10%.

Better than Ford
By J. Orf on 08/18/05 18:24 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This truck is a joy to drive. I previously had a Ford Ranger. It had a 4cyl engine and couldn't get out of it's own way. My Nissan however is almost as peppy as my 6cyl family sedan. I am very pleased with this vehicle and I haven't had a single problem with it. The Ranger was in the shop more times than I care to mention.

It's ok but.....
By mike on 05/18/05 21:02 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this pick-up for 9 months now, and it is ok. The ride is the biggest disappointment. The truck has a vibration when driving 40+, had at the dealership twice. They rebalanced the tires both times, but truck still has vibration. It also has numerous little rattles in the cab. On the positive side, you get a lot of options and a nice looking truck for a lot less than other models.