Used 2003 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Frontier

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Great truck to have fun in!!
By Steven

2003 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 4WD LB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck brand new while stationed at FT. Sill, OK. I used this truck to pull the biggest U-Haul trailer (I think it's a 6'x12') from there to Kansas City, MO. That's about 455 miles. It was stuffed to the roof with belongings, including the interior of the truck, and the bed. It pulled it wonderfully at about 70 MPH the whole way. Only got about 7 miles to the gallon, but I was pulling roughly 3,000 lbs. I bought a reciever hitch to pull the trailer. I haven't had a single problem with it, 4WD works great in snow and having fun in the muck.

Favorite Features

roof rack and extendable bed. 4WD (of course).

Suggested Improvements

5-speed auto. factory lift kits (suspension, not body)

First Nissan
By kris1023

2003 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 Rwd SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I LOVE this truck! I initially wanted this vehicle because of the aggressive styling, but ultimately bought it for the value and practicality. Even for a small V6, it can move if it needs to. I don't have the same mileage issue as most people (I get about 20 per gal) and I have a bit of a lead foot. No mechanical troubles, except that the check engine light went on when I put on a locking gas cap. With the birth of my second child, I found that the backseat can't handle an infant carseat without squishing the front passenger. Still I only paid $17,500 including the optional power and sport packages, so this is truly the best vehicle I have ever had for the money.

Favorite Features

Super fun to drive, nice options and very practical.

Suggested Improvements

More room in the backseat, better customer service at the dealerships. They treat you like dirt AFTER you've already bought the vehicle. They charged me $80 to reset the check engine light and, after reading the manual, I found that the light would have reset itself after changing the gas cap back.

I'll keep her till she quits.
By FrankB

2003 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 Rwd LB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my truck used with 500 miles with everything but leather. Its my main vehicle and my family car. I've got 60k miles on it and haven't had any problems. I've taken it off the road a couple times and seems to do a decent job at it for a two wheel drive. Seems to go where you want it to in the slippery stuff. Tires like to spin on wet pavement by the way or maybe I've just got a heavier foot. Havent spent much time in the back seats myself but had some heavier inlaws back there for a twelve hour trip with out to many complaints. I've also had it about as full as you can get it cargo wise and dosen't seem to effect the ride, acceleration or handling much.Go with the l. bed version.

Favorite Features

The running bars, roof rack, adjustable drivers seat, available accesories. Multiple ac outlets. towing capacity

Suggested Improvements

A few more horse power. 4 wheel disc breaks. Thats about it.

It gets complements all the time!!!
By romoore14

2003 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab SE-V6 Rwd SB (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Great truck and very good looking, cause it has been complemented alot!!! Fun to drive, definitely!!!!! Gas mileage could be better but I think it is geared pretty low in the higher gears!!!!!! Back seat is a little tight for the average adult but my kids love it!!!

Favorite Features

The big truck ride and take off power.

Suggested Improvements

Nissan needs to improve the gas mileage, increase leg room in back seat and raise the instrument cluster up some as it tends to be too deep into the dash making it hard too see during daylight hours.

Kick Butt Nissan
By Jeckyll

2003 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 Rwd LB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

This truck is great. You get the best parts of an SUV, but you still have the convenience of a truck bed. Great towing capacity and the long bed makes it very stable. Back seat is a little cramped, but fine for younger kids, dogs or just storage. I only average about 19 MPG which I think could be a little higher. Funny thing is that it never seems to differ between hwy and city, or even towing my boat.The 3.3 liter is tough and strong, but not quite the pick I was looking for. I wish Nissan offered the 3.5 liter V-6 in the Frontier. I think that would be the icing on top and make this truck absolutely perfect.

Favorite Features

Interior design, great exterior looks, roof rack and side step bars are very convenient and the long bed is of perfect size.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the speed limiter, offer the 3.5 liter V-6 in the Frontier and a little bit more room between the steering wheel and the driver's door. Maybe a little bit more ground clearance and offer a 16" wheel/tire upgrade.