2003 Nissan Frontier Standard Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:
2003 Nissan Frontier
By Kelly on 02/07/06 11:28 AM (PST)

2003 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 4WD LB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Nissan. Could have better turning ratio. Seats could be more comfortable and rear doors could be made easier to get out of. Other than that all else is excellent.

Enjoy the Ride!
By Nate240-Z on 09/13/05 19:38 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE-V6 4WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I LOVE this truck! I have almost 45000 miles on it now and not a single problem. The interior does not have the cheap look and feel that the Toyota has. The interior is also extremely user friendly. Once you get rid of those horrible BFG rugged trail tires for a real All Terrain tire, I suggest the Yokohama Geolander A/T+II's, the off-road ability is amazing. I had NO wet road traction with the BFG's and the Yoko's solved that problem. I ordered mine with the 5spd manual which has a 4LO crawl ratio of nearly 40:1. Gas mielage is good for a 4x4... I average 20mpg on the highway and 15-16 in town, also while towing my '72 240Z on the hwy (3300lbs w/trailer) I averaged 16mpg @ 65-70mph.

mpg lousy for a small truck
By fireguy on 09/13/05 19:30 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 4WD LB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

like most things about the truck (the drive, how it handles, etc.). Interior controls are good, however mpg horrible for a small truck. less than 15 on the interstate, less than 12 in town. I bought the truck thinking fuel mileage would be reasonable (most small trucks are).

Great truck for a lot of gas
By Darby19d on 08/12/05 15:07 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab SVE-V6 4WD SB (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

My Frontier is a great truck: fun to drive, comfortable, reliable, does everything I ask it to without complaining. But my only complaint is that it sucks gas like no one else's business. I average about 15-16 MPG. Granted, I live in the city, which isn't optimal for fuel efficiency, but it still hurts the pocket book. It still get's below average gas milage on the freeway (about 16-17 MPG), but it's still better than in the city. My recommendation, if you do a lot of freeway driving or don't live in the city, it's a great truck to drive. If you live in the city, you better be rich.

Weak on power until
By theodore popee on 06/24/05 09:14 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Weak on power untill I adjusted timing up, not so much it pings just before. Still 2.4 engine does not have the power 2.5 altima motor has This truck has style large hauling compasity jump seats behind passenger 24 mpg need to keep rpm up if you want speed steers a little hard with power steering for an old man with open heart,

Great truck to have fun in!!
By Steven on 02/07/05 14:58 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 4WD LB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck brand new while stationed at FT. Sill, OK. I used this truck to pull the biggest U-Haul trailer (I think it's a 6'x12') from there to Kansas City, MO. That's about 455 miles. It was stuffed to the roof with belongings, including the interior of the truck, and the bed. It pulled it wonderfully at about 70 MPH the whole way. Only got about 7 miles to the gallon, but I was pulling roughly 3,000 lbs. I bought a reciever hitch to pull the trailer. I haven't had a single problem with it, 4WD works great in snow and having fun in the muck.

First Nissan
By kris1023 on 01/29/05 19:53 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 Rwd SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I LOVE this truck! I initially wanted this vehicle because of the aggressive styling, but ultimately bought it for the value and practicality. Even for a small V6, it can move if it needs to. I don't have the same mileage issue as most people (I get about 20 per gal) and I have a bit of a lead foot. No mechanical troubles, except that the check engine light went on when I put on a locking gas cap. With the birth of my second child, I found that the backseat can't handle an infant carseat without squishing the front passenger. Still I only paid $17,500 including the optional power and sport packages, so this is truly the best vehicle I have ever had for the money.

I'll keep her till she quits.
By FrankB on 10/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 Rwd LB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my truck used with 500 miles with everything but leather. Its my main vehicle and my family car. I've got 60k miles on it and haven't had any problems. I've taken it off the road a couple times and seems to do a decent job at it for a two wheel drive. Seems to go where you want it to in the slippery stuff. Tires like to spin on wet pavement by the way or maybe I've just got a heavier foot. Havent spent much time in the back seats myself but had some heavier inlaws back there for a twelve hour trip with out to many complaints. I've also had it about as full as you can get it cargo wise and dosen't seem to effect the ride, acceleration or handling much.Go with the l. bed version.

It gets complements all the time!!!
By romoore14 on 10/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab SE-V6 Rwd SB (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Great truck and very good looking, cause it has been complemented alot!!! Fun to drive, definitely!!!!! Gas mileage could be better but I think it is geared pretty low in the higher gears!!!!!! Back seat is a little tight for the average adult but my kids love it!!!

Kick Butt Nissan
By Jeckyll on 07/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 Rwd LB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

This truck is great. You get the best parts of an SUV, but you still have the convenience of a truck bed. Great towing capacity and the long bed makes it very stable. Back seat is a little cramped, but fine for younger kids, dogs or just storage. I only average about 19 MPG which I think could be a little higher. Funny thing is that it never seems to differ between hwy and city, or even towing my boat.The 3.3 liter is tough and strong, but not quite the pick I was looking for. I wish Nissan offered the 3.5 liter V-6 in the Frontier. I think that would be the icing on top and make this truck absolutely perfect.