Used 2003 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Great Truck
By Rich Soto

2003 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 4WD LB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Starts up nice. Drives like a full size truck. Step on the gas and she goes nice for a v6. Shifts smooth and stops on a dime. Turning radius is great. Has a little bit of wind noise around door somewhere. I will figure it out sooner or later. Had to trade a manual transmission vehicle for this cause I could not use right shoulder to well and this truck has everthing easy to reach. Pulls a 2 place quad trailer very well. I forget it's back there. That is how well it pulls and rides back there. Hope I dont have to get rid of this truck for any health reasons. This truck could last me forever. Bought it with 54 thousand miles, clean as a whistle. Got a full 60k service done at dealer. Top shape!

Visibility, drive, comfort, style, stereo, color, fit, finish, cannot say anything bad. Bed is plenty long, dash is lit up just enough at night, I cant stand a bright dash at night. Heater kicks, cant wait till summer to see how well air works. I test drove many makes, this was the best!

Like to find where air leaks into driver's door area and rattle underneath around passenger exhaust area. In due time I will find it. Would like to have interior door floor lights and brighter in cab lights when door is opened.

Nice but could be even better
By EarlR

2003 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 4WD LB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Frontier as a dual-purpose vehicle; a tow rig for my 240SX race car, and off-road toy for mountian trips. As a tow rig the truck is just adequate; the long wheel base (CC/LB) makes it very stable, but the engine is a little underpowered. If I had known they were coming out with a 4L 265-HP version I might have waited to buy my truck. As noted, the gas mileage is pretty poor, but part of that surely stems from the low gearing (4.63:1 rear) needed to compensate for the underpowered engine. OTOH, as an off-road truck it shines. With just a change of tires (M/Ts) the truck turns into a 4-wheeling beast; I can go everywhere my buddy's Jeep Rubicon goes-until the beds starts to drag :)

Stability when towing, rugged, reliable. Great off-road truck (it is the cousin of the Xterra after all).

They've already added more power, so the only other thing I would want would be more interior room; I'm 6'-4" and the back seat is not a place I want to be. The steering wheel needs to tilt up more for us long-legged guys.

Love My Nissan
By ams27587

2003 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab SC-V6 4WD SB (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Great truck. Bought 1 year old with 9800 miles. Better styling and performance than the Toyota costing about $3K more. 3 years and 64K miles later, still enjoy this truck. Some minor problems encountered, including A/C high pressure hose replaced twice, power steering pump leak and some unexplained rattling underneath the driver. Dealer has been generally cooperative. The supercharged engine delivers great torque but at a cost of barely 14 mpg around town. I now drive my wife's car during the week due to having to fill up every 4-5 days. All in all, a great truck and very reliable and still looks great for a 4 year old.

Supercharged engine, torque, outstanding off road performance, great sound system and cold A/C.

Compass and outside temp gauge. Improve gas mileage. Better driver seat adjustments. Better quality paint.

2003 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab
By bucc19

2003 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 4WD LB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned this truck for 2 years and I've had NO problems. Traded my Tacoma in on this with no regrets. It has a better ride, more comfort and much better looks. I'm now a Nissan guy.

CD changer, roof racks and long bed.

Gas mileage and a little more power to make this truck perfect.

Best of the 2003s
By love my Nissan

2003 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab SC-V6 Rwd LB (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I looked at all the 03 mid-size crew-cabs before buying. The Nissan was the obvious choice. It had the most powerful engine (super-charged V6), the longest bed, quietest interior, and was thousands less than a comparably equipped Toyota. I have a fully loaded top of the line truck with every option and a few aftermarket add-ons. This truck has proved to be religiously dependable and an excellent buy. I get 17 mpg in the city and close to 22 on the highway. I don't like the fact that it needs premium gas and the Firestones that come on the S/C 2x2 are JUNK (I got less than 20k miles from the first set, and I am a very conservative driver. The second set isn't fairing any better).

Good power, great towing capacity, the long bed, the incredible dependability factor, and the Rockford Fosgate stereo all make this truck worth having and keeping. It's a true work pony.

The high performance Firestones are completely unneeded on the SC truck. They wear out quickly and are expensive to replace. The back seat is a little tight on leg room. The gauges and controls can be a little hard to discern on a very bright sunny day.