Used 2003 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Great little truck in general
By beast10r

2003 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE-V6 4WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

When I was looking for a truck I needed something that I could get into relatively cheap that I could haul my motorcycle around with, and last a long time. After doing lots of research I decided on the Frontier. I bought the truck with 75k on it 2 years ago, and it currently has just under 100k. The previous owner took good care of it and gave me a bunch of maintenance receipts and so far it's been trouble free except for a bad knock sensor, but that doesn't really effect anything. That said, it's not very powerful and it drinks gas like a V8. It should have had a 6 speed but with this truck you trade power and efficiency for reliability. If your Ok with that, then it's great.

Look, durability. size

Well, since there is already a new model out I doubt this would help anything, but I would say it needs a stronger and more efficient motor. If they made a truck this size with a stronger motor that got 20 MPG city, and 25 MPG highway, it would own the market.

Love My Truck - Great Truck - Won't let it go
By laurelguy

2003 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 4WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 03 Frontier new in 1/03, haven't had any complaints, now has 191k miles on it, having some issues but that's expected I guess. Speed sensors on both side needed replaced, now having to replace rear seal. Might be bandaging it but really don't want to let the truck go. Only complaint was local Nissan dealership for service or lack there of, but found local shop just as good and less expensive.

When shopping around in 02/03 the exterior design is what caught my eye, shame Nissan had to change it.

Wish I'd gotten the longer bed but otherwise no changes, happy camper here.

Ole Miss Update
By olemiss

2003 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 Rwd LB (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I just wanted to update my post of my Frontier Crew Cab long bed with 3.3 engine. I had to replace the A/C compressor around 75,000 miles, replaced a headlight last week, and a battery at the seven year point. I chose to put new shocks all around and replace the brake pads at 85,000 miles. I will have new hoses and belts put on when I have the timing belt replaced at 100,000 miles. Not bad for a ten year old truck with 90,000 miles. I take very good care of this truck and I plan to drive it daily for a few more years.

Very dependable. I had the A/C compressor replaced, but everything else is normal wear and tear. Pulled a friends 35 foot boat and launched it with no problems.

Nothing too bad. I said I thought this truck was ugly, but I should add that she looks better everyday and no one believes that this truck is ten years old.

Great Light Duty Pickup
By yader84

2003 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I test drove all the light duty trucks before I bought this in 2007. Tacoma was small, lower to the ground, and more bouncy. Mazda felt loose, Ranger couldn't touch the interior space. The Nissan is stable, feels larger than others, has great towing capacity (3000#), and I get 27 mpg. For the size, it has power you wouldn't expect. Best of all, it has had no major problems, and that's at 175,000 miles.

Towing Height Gas Mileage

Factory sound isn't all that great. No iPod hook up.

Too many issues
By sourkrautgreg

2003 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE-V6 Desert Runner Rwd SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

My previous truck was a 95 Nissan Hardbody XE V6 ext Cab. I traded it in on my current truck and only had to replace the fan belt when it broke at about 100k. Loved that Truck. I have had numerous issues with this one however. I have had to replace the clutch and the AC compressor at 62k. The speed sensor had been on its way out since before then, and finally quit outright at about 85k. Now at 95k and need to replace AC comp again. Nissan dealer installed it.

Great ground clearance and very capable off road. Ample power for a 4000 lb truck with a manual tranny

Gas mileage poor considering its a v6, not v8. Overall engine reliability and better placement of back spark plug