Used 2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Great truck, I'll stick with Nissan
By biker

2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is an update of my original review from 2010. It is now July 2016. I still have this truck I bought new....
Now I am at 14 years with my Frontier and it still going strong. I bought this truck new in 2002. I use my Frontier for towing a motorcycle trailer and it does fine.
The interior looks great with slight wear on the drivers seat and sun visor.
The paint is still in good shape even though it is always outdoors in the Florida weather (Including 3 hurricanes in 2004)
In 14 years and 125000 miles, I have replaced the A/C compressor, a valve cover gasket and a shifter seal. That is it....The gasket and shifter seal...200 bucks including labor....The A/C about 900.... Not bad for 14 years.
Front brake pads replaced once.
Rear brakes...original. Clutch...Original.
Suspension, original.
The 2.4l 4 banger with the 5 speed is adequate but won't win any drag races. The gas mileage is great. Even with a raised topper, I get 25 and without the topper I average 26-28 on the highway. The ride is a bit stiff but it is a truck after all. Overall I am very satisfied and plan to keep it forever....
I will update this review again in a few more years.....

Disappointed
By jratzloff

2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE-V6 Desert Runner 2WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the Desert Runner (100,000 miles) after owning a 97 Dodge. The heater core had to be replaced ($700), the heater controls on the dash were "stripped" out and did not work properly($250), and the air distribution box under the dash still needs to be replaced, but I won't do that for a while, if ever. I've had many small trucks, but none rode as rough as this one. I have replaced the shocks and will change tires soon. On a smooth road, it is great, but on a rough road, wow!. Steering wheel blocks the dash instruments (I am 6'3"). Truck looks great and has enough room inside for me, but I am really disappointed in the mechanical aspects of the truck, specially for a Nissan.

Exterior looks.

Interior quality (heater parts) and the rear fold down seats rattle.

I'd buy again but Frontier too big now
By kyboy

2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Truck is babied. Other than oil and filter changes, no expense, but air went out at 45k. Still on original tires at 55k. Rear vibrated even when new, 55-65 mph. Gearing is very tall, making engine appear sluggish, took some time to get used to having to rev up to take off, but love the mpg, 24/28.

Plasticky fender flares (eye-roll-here).

5 lug wheels. Spray in bed liner std.

Nice & Slow
By Ben

2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great truck, nice looking, great mpg, very slow. I have an auto with 63,000. Something squeaks when i go over bumps.

Looks, long bed, reliability.

Better acceleration.

Disappointment
By Joe

The 4X2 V6 Frontier has limited power and handles poorly. Don't try to go up hill in 5th gear with the A/C on. After 8,000 miles the A/C compressor pulley started squealing and then broke off. this truck will get stuck in HARD PACKED sand with all season tires so get the All Terrain. The stock speakers blew out twice on both sides and the cd deck always froze up. I just replaced them with aftermarket due to the warranty expiration. The # 4 and #6 spark plugs are very hard to get to and the alignment has never been correct. Even after getting new tires and having an ajustment kit added it pulls. The clutch pedal squeaks after every rain so keep WD40 in the garage. Generic fender flares fade!!

The bed is deep and long for a mid size so it fits lots of gear for the beach or desert

More horse power