Used 2002 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

2002 Nissan Frontier

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Avoid this Lemon
By ikeburns

2002 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 4WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

This truck has been a lemon since the day I bought it. The knock sensor and the catalytic converters (yes, plural) go bad at 100k miles, and you're looking at 3k to fix all this, or else you can't pass emissions. I've talked to mechanics and they say that they see this all the time with Nissan frontiers. You'll need to get the Nissan parts, because aftermarket parts aren't compatible and you'll waste your money, & still not pass emissions. The AC has gone out on me twice, and even the electrical components struggle. I've only got 145k highway miles, and I've struggled mightily with the catalytic converters, knock sensors, AC unit (broken twice), electrical, tailgate handle, door handle

Favorite Features

Exterior design, I guess, but it's not that great. Definitely not worth the trouble you'll have with reliability

Suggested Improvements

Catalytic converters, knock sensors, AC unit, and battery cables are all junk. Even the tailgate handle and the door handle broke. My suggestion is to actually have parts that work.

old truck new love
By carol_okc

2002 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 4WD LB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I looked long and hard for the perfect truck - and I've found it. I've always driven full-size pickups but wanted better economy, 4wd, a decent cargo capacity, and room for my two big dogs for everything except hauling the big round bales of hay. Still have the 2500 Ram for the latter, but the Frontier handles everything else beautifully. Since I tend to drive my vehicles forever, I wasn't concerned about this being older and having a bit over 100k miles on it. I did have my mechanic go over it thoroughly, freshening several things that needed to be addressed, but still brought it in at my budgeted figure - and expect to drive it at least another 100k miles. Can you tell I love it??

Favorite Features

It delivers everything I wanted and then some. Finding one with the 5-speed manual took some doing, but I found it. I'm not used to the 'luxury' of power everything, especially in what is a working vehicle - this little beast is spoiling me fast.

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint is that the owner's manual (yes, all manuals were in the dash, even after 9 years) is that the instrument panel/controls diagram is incomplete.. still trying to figure out what one toggle does, since it isn't identified in the manual.

Great truck, I'll stick with Nissan
By biker

2002 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

8 years and still going strong. I use my Frontier for towing a motorcycle trailer and it does fine. Not any reliability problems except my A/C compressor is a bit noisy when it kicks on at highway speed. Nice and cold though. It has held up well in the body and interior department as well. The 2.4l 4 banger with the 5 speed is adequate but won't win any drag races. The gas mileage is great. Even with a raised topper, I get 25 and without the topper I average 26-28 on the highway. The ride is a bit stiff but it is a truck after all. Overall I am very satisfied and plan to keep it a LONG time.

Favorite Features

simplicity and lack of clutter under the hood. interior and exterior style. reliability and gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

class III hitch and trailer wiring should be standard.

Little truck, lotta truck !
By john d

2002 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 2WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I use the truck primarily to tow a 3000 lb camper. The 3.3 L engine in the 2002 was rated at only 170 hp but this little truck seems to use all of them as it tows the camper plus another 500 lbs of camping gear as though it is not there. That is both with power and mileage. The camper and gear doubles the weight of the truck alone with no more than a 15-20 % increase in fuel consumption. For power I'm comparing it to my old Ford full-size with a 351 V-8. Never any maintenance in nearly 8 years of use other than regular preventative maintenance. Cannot recommend this little truck too much!!

Favorite Features

Acts like a truck and a sedan too with the extra passenger seating. Never needs repair as long as you keep it maintained.

Suggested Improvements

A few more inches of legroom in the back might allow the backseat passengers some comfort if traveling more than a few hundred miles.

Disappointed
By jratzloff

2002 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE-V6 Desert Runner 2WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the Desert Runner (100,000 miles) after owning a 97 Dodge. The heater core had to be replaced ($700), the heater controls on the dash were "stripped" out and did not work properly($250), and the air distribution box under the dash still needs to be replaced, but I won't do that for a while, if ever. I've had many small trucks, but none rode as rough as this one. I have replaced the shocks and will change tires soon. On a smooth road, it is great, but on a rough road, wow!. Steering wheel blocks the dash instruments (I am 6'3"). Truck looks great and has enough room inside for me, but I am really disappointed in the mechanical aspects of the truck, specially for a Nissan.

Favorite Features

Exterior looks.

Suggested Improvements

Interior quality (heater parts) and the rear fold down seats rattle.