Used 2002 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

2002 Nissan Frontier

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Nice truck
By cowasockee

2002 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab SE-V6 2WD LB (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I just bought my Frontier used, and so far I have been very happy with it. Only problems have been a few rattles that I believe are fixable, poor gas mileage, and my motorcycle (Ducati Monster) will not fit in the bed with the tail gate closed(misses it by a few inches). The only other problem is my wife steals my truck all the time.

Favorite Features

Long bed, four doors absolutely rock, good looks.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage! The cruise control seems a little jerky going up and down hills, but this seems to be a common problem on modern electronic cruise controls.

2002 Frontier just so-so
By Larry Cline

2002 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab SE-V6 2WD LB (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

A bit underpowered. Poor fuel economy (15-17 mpg in combined city/highway use. Fairly comfortable, with good room front & back, although back less so for adults. The long bed is handy, although it makes thre truck very difficult to park; a short bed with the removable bed extender might be good enough if you don't haul large items regularly. One extremely annoying design flaw: the vents cannot be closed completely off, and the ductwork runs close to the engine, so hot air is blown in all the time. On days over about 65 degrees, you have to keep the a/c turned on or windows down or it gets very warm inside.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the vent system, please!

Little truck, lotta truck !
By john d

2002 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 2WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I use the truck primarily to tow a 3000 lb camper. The 3.3 L engine in the 2002 was rated at only 170 hp but this little truck seems to use all of them as it tows the camper plus another 500 lbs of camping gear as though it is not there. That is both with power and mileage. The camper and gear doubles the weight of the truck alone with no more than a 15-20 % increase in fuel consumption. For power I'm comparing it to my old Ford full-size with a 351 V-8. Never any maintenance in nearly 8 years of use other than regular preventative maintenance. Cannot recommend this little truck too much!!

Favorite Features

Acts like a truck and a sedan too with the extra passenger seating. Never needs repair as long as you keep it maintained.

Suggested Improvements

A few more inches of legroom in the back might allow the backseat passengers some comfort if traveling more than a few hundred miles.

Avoid this Lemon
By ikeburns

2002 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 4WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

This truck has been a lemon since the day I bought it. The knock sensor and the catalytic converters (yes, plural) go bad at 100k miles, and you're looking at 3k to fix all this, or else you can't pass emissions. I've talked to mechanics and they say that they see this all the time with Nissan frontiers. You'll need to get the Nissan parts, because aftermarket parts aren't compatible and you'll waste your money, & still not pass emissions. The AC has gone out on me twice, and even the electrical components struggle. I've only got 145k highway miles, and I've struggled mightily with the catalytic converters, knock sensors, AC unit (broken twice), electrical, tailgate handle, door handle

Favorite Features

Exterior design, I guess, but it's not that great. Definitely not worth the trouble you'll have with reliability

Suggested Improvements

Catalytic converters, knock sensors, AC unit, and battery cables are all junk. Even the tailgate handle and the door handle broke. My suggestion is to actually have parts that work.

cool truckin
By ldldldld@earthlink

2002 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab SC-V6 2WD LB (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

The vehicle performs well for a pickup at all speeds. Nice quite ride, lots of cab room (4 door Crew Cab), and a superior sound system stock.

Favorite Features

Engine, styling, drivability, off road handling, long bed usefullness.

Suggested Improvements

A little more road sound deadening, better grade of tires off lot, seat material durability could be improved.