2002 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:
July 2007
By July 07 on 07/12/07 10:04 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab Standard 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck from my father. I have had it for 2 months and it has 35,000 miles on it. Yes I said 35,000! Absolutely no power. Basically it is like driving a low model 4cyl sedan. Get the 6 cyl if you expect to haul anything. Forget about the accelerating with the AC on. Getting about 21 MPG highway as I really only drive on highways. Belts squeak a lot. I would recommend buying this truck if you can get it below the Edmunds vehicle pricing. It is handy to drive around. No mechanical issues since it was in the family - it was bought new.

Good Commuter
By DJ on 06/17/07 19:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought brand new with only 6 miles on the odometer. Haven't had a single major problem. Had the belts replaced at 57000 miles. Other than that, oil changes and gas fill-ups. It doesn't have very much power and the A/C drains even more from the already struggling engine. However, my 5spd manual gets pretty good gas mileage (as much as 28.5 hwy).

Frontier SC
By Bob D on 01/13/07 17:26 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab SC-V6 4WD LB (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

This is the second Frontier I've had and this time I will never purchase another Nissan again. I had reliability issues with the first Frontier that I had, a 2000 and was offered a "good deal" on a trade in on a 2002. The 2002 has been no better. This vehicle is extremely costly to maintain.

Nissan's go..go...go and go.............
By odachimaster on 01/01/07 19:39 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned Nissan mini-trucks since 1984 purely by accident Toyota at the time were to stuck-up so I compared the 2 trucks and Nissan had the better truck on paper and since they were willing to deal I had that truck 12 years 188k and never changed a clutch this is my third one I have 51k on this one and I put new tires on it not to long ago.(I got 88k on 1st set of truck tires) I have had nothing wrong with this truck other then what I or my son have done to it.(Bent back bumper, My son's Battle Bot hurled a 10lb. Alum. box 100' into my truck blowing out my window and leaving a nasty gash all fixed) So, I say if you want something dependable you cannot go wrong with Nissan.

2002 Frontier just so-so
By Larry Cline on 10/27/06 15:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab SE-V6 2WD LB (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

A bit underpowered. Poor fuel economy (15-17 mpg in combined city/highway use. Fairly comfortable, with good room front & back, although back less so for adults. The long bed is handy, although it makes thre truck very difficult to park; a short bed with the removable bed extender might be good enough if you don't haul large items regularly. One extremely annoying design flaw: the vents cannot be closed completely off, and the ductwork runs close to the engine, so hot air is blown in all the time. On days over about 65 degrees, you have to keep the a/c turned on or windows down or it gets very warm inside.

good truck
By jarius on 07/26/06 10:28 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE-V6 Desert Runner 2WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

this is my first truck and my next truck will be a nissan

Nissan quality cars and trucks
By THOMAS MANZO on 06/02/06 17:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 4WD LB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned a couple of Nissans and they are both outstanding vehicles. Reliable quality vehicles. I never had to worry about being let down or stuck somewhere on long trips cross country and I drive them hard. High mileage vehicles and they handle and drive like new. Very happy and satisfied with the vehicle, and I love my 2002 4WD Longbed fully loaded Frontier.

Frontier Desert Runner
By crazymagman on 04/29/06 20:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE-V6 Desert Runner 2WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Have had the truck just over a year and have not been overly thrilled. As a Desert Runner it is fun to drive off road and you can go anywhere you want, but it feels unconnected from the road and like it is working very hard on the interstate to keep up to speed. It's okay, but not quite as good as I would have liked.

Super Yellow Truck
By street2nerz on 04/10/06 13:50 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab SC-V6 4WD LB (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Overall, this is THE BEST truck I have ever owned! Absolutely NO mechanical issues AT since new. About the only thing I wish were different are the Front seats, they have no lumbar support. and the addition of a footrest would have been great. Other than that, this is a great truck. I particularly like the styling over the newer nismos as well. It's just better! Oh, one last item, the brakes are good, but easily could have been much better, when are the manufactures gonna get wise about slapping some brembo'son their sport trucks! WHEN!!..I'd easily pay the difference. I am not easy on my vehicles but this one has really done a great job. Break in your engine and change the oil often!

3.5 Year owner says "Good Truck"
By SAF on 02/11/06 18:31 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE-V6 4WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

It has been my primary vehicle for 3.5 years and I have just turned over 70K miles. I commute 28 miles one way every day with this vehicle, have taken it off road a handful of times and hauled numerous heavy loads. I pretty much abuse my vehicles and don't baby them. If I keep the highway speed under 70 mph I average 20 MPG. The horn broke after 1.5 years while it was still under warrenty, other than that I have had zero problems with this vehicle ,nothing but oils changes. The truck has held up well, still starts and runs like a new one. I would definitely consider buying a Nissan again.