Used 2002 Nissan Frontier XE King Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Great truck, I'll stick with Nissan
By biker

2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

8 years and still going strong. I use my Frontier for towing a motorcycle trailer and it does fine. Not any reliability problems except my A/C compressor is a bit noisy when it kicks on at highway speed. Nice and cold though. It has held up well in the body and interior department as well. The 2.4l 4 banger with the 5 speed is adequate but won't win any drag races. The gas mileage is great. Even with a raised topper, I get 25 and without the topper I average 26-28 on the highway. The ride is a bit stiff but it is a truck after all. Overall I am very satisfied and plan to keep it a LONG time.

Favorite Features

simplicity and lack of clutter under the hood. interior and exterior style. reliability and gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

class III hitch and trailer wiring should be standard.

I'd buy again but Frontier too big now
By kyboy

2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Truck is babied. Other than oil and filter changes, no expense, but air went out at 45k. Still on original tires at 55k. Rear vibrated even when new, 55-65 mph. Gearing is very tall, making engine appear sluggish, took some time to get used to having to rev up to take off, but love the mpg, 24/28.

Favorite Features

Plasticky fender flares (eye-roll-here).

Suggested Improvements

5 lug wheels. Spray in bed liner std.

Nice & Slow
By Ben

2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great truck, nice looking, great mpg, very slow. I have an auto with 63,000. Something squeaks when i go over bumps.

Favorite Features

Looks, long bed, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Better acceleration.

Good Commuter
By DJ

2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought brand new with only 6 miles on the odometer. Haven't had a single major problem. Had the belts replaced at 57000 miles. Other than that, oil changes and gas fill-ups. It doesn't have very much power and the A/C drains even more from the already struggling engine. However, my 5spd manual gets pretty good gas mileage (as much as 28.5 hwy).

Favorite Features

Comfortable front seats, cold A/C.

Suggested Improvements

Way more power needed. Also, front-facing jump seats would be better.

Nissan's go..go...go and go.............
By odachimaster

2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned Nissan mini-trucks since 1984 purely by accident Toyota at the time were to stuck-up so I compared the 2 trucks and Nissan had the better truck on paper and since they were willing to deal I had that truck 12 years 188k and never changed a clutch this is my third one I have 51k on this one and I put new tires on it not to long ago.(I got 88k on 1st set of truck tires) I have had nothing wrong with this truck other then what I or my son have done to it.(Bent back bumper, My son's Battle Bot hurled a 10lb. Alum. box 100' into my truck blowing out my window and leaving a nasty gash all fixed) So, I say if you want something dependable you cannot go wrong with Nissan.

Favorite Features

extra cab, exterior looks, seats comfortable,

Suggested Improvements

do not put wrong tire sizes in manuals or on your web-sites.... Need to bring back a new engine with better gas mileage that is why I have not bought yet I at least like to get 24 mpg MY Infiniti G35 coupe with 280hp and 280 torque gets SO ENGINE DESIGN IS GREAT. 24 mpg thats city and hwy driving.