2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:
Disappointed
By jratzloff on 10/06/08 14:22 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE-V6 Desert Runner 2WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the Desert Runner (100,000 miles) after owning a 97 Dodge. The heater core had to be replaced ($700), the heater controls on the dash were "stripped" out and did not work properly($250), and the air distribution box under the dash still needs to be replaced, but I won't do that for a while, if ever. I've had many small trucks, but none rode as rough as this one. I have replaced the shocks and will change tires soon. On a smooth road, it is great, but on a rough road, wow!. Steering wheel blocks the dash instruments (I am 6'3"). Truck looks great and has enough room inside for me, but I am really disappointed in the mechanical aspects of the truck, specially for a Nissan.

Disappointment
By Joe on 07/07/08 22:56 PM (PDT)

The 4X2 V6 Frontier has limited power and handles poorly. Don't try to go up hill in 5th gear with the A/C on. After 8,000 miles the A/C compressor pulley started squealing and then broke off. this truck will get stuck in HARD PACKED sand with all season tires so get the All Terrain. The stock speakers blew out twice on both sides and the cd deck always froze up. I just replaced them with aftermarket due to the warranty expiration. The # 4 and #6 spark plugs are very hard to get to and the alignment has never been correct. Even after getting new tires and having an ajustment kit added it pulls. The clutch pedal squeaks after every rain so keep WD40 in the garage. Generic fender flares fade!!

good truck
By jarius on 07/26/06 10:28 AM (PDT)

this is my first truck and my next truck will be a nissan

Frontier Desert Runner
By crazymagman on 04/29/06 20:10 PM (PDT)

Have had the truck just over a year and have not been overly thrilled. As a Desert Runner it is fun to drive off road and you can go anywhere you want, but it feels unconnected from the road and like it is working very hard on the interstate to keep up to speed. It's okay, but not quite as good as I would have liked.

it's bad on gas
By frontierboy on 10/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

the truck had a squek in the front bumper brackets , passenger seats chirps when empty and gas is the worst, and engine valves are noisy. clickety click.

so far, so good
By maas on 11/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

I had a 95 Nissan pickup that never did me wrong, but it was time to get something newer. I decided to stick with Nissan due to my past experience. I love this truck, but I keep hearing about people having problems with them and that scares me. One thing I can say is that the A/C makes some strange noises that I fear will mean problems in the future. Also, my clutch pedal squeaks. Gas mileage stinks big time. Overall, I think it's great, but I'm still worried that it will end up having some problems .

Love this truck!
By WilliamB on 11/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

I just got my v6 Desert Runner from a dealer. It was used, but this truck runs great! The v6 isn't as strong as its competition, Toyota Tacoma Prerunner v6, but it still packs a pretty good punch. For its size, the acceleration is pretty good. The ride is smoother than I thought. Overall, this is a very good vehicle. I recomend looking into one if you are searching for midsize trucks.

Driver Makes the Gas Mileage
By diffie on 08/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Mechanically perfect and absolutely reliable, this 3800-lb truck w/ 3 adults, a pop-up camper, and other gear went from Dallas to the mountains above Sante Fe. Plenty of power to pull this 6500-lb GVW up to 11,000 ft. 15mpg in the steep parts, 17mpg in the prairie when towing. 20mpg when driving sans trailer. The only thing I do not like about this truck is that I paid too much for it because 3 week later these trucks were discounted by $3000. I was not happy with my dealer... Trophy Nissan of Dallas. I'll not shop there any more.

my truck
By Mary2 on 05/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

I like the Nissan, it drives nice.