2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:
Great truck, I'll stick with Nissan
By biker on 03/21/10 18:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

8 years and still going strong. I use my Frontier for towing a motorcycle trailer and it does fine. Not any reliability problems except my A/C compressor is a bit noisy when it kicks on at highway speed. Nice and cold though. It has held up well in the body and interior department as well. The 2.4l 4 banger with the 5 speed is adequate but won't win any drag races. The gas mileage is great. Even with a raised topper, I get 25 and without the topper I average 26-28 on the highway. The ride is a bit stiff but it is a truck after all. Overall I am very satisfied and plan to keep it a LONG time.

Disappointed
By jratzloff on 10/06/08 14:22 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE-V6 Desert Runner 2WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the Desert Runner (100,000 miles) after owning a 97 Dodge. The heater core had to be replaced ($700), the heater controls on the dash were "stripped" out and did not work properly($250), and the air distribution box under the dash still needs to be replaced, but I won't do that for a while, if ever. I've had many small trucks, but none rode as rough as this one. I have replaced the shocks and will change tires soon. On a smooth road, it is great, but on a rough road, wow!. Steering wheel blocks the dash instruments (I am 6'3"). Truck looks great and has enough room inside for me, but I am really disappointed in the mechanical aspects of the truck, specially for a Nissan.

I'd buy again but Frontier too big now
By kyboy on 09/12/08 19:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Truck is babied. Other than oil and filter changes, no expense, but air went out at 45k. Still on original tires at 55k. Rear vibrated even when new, 55-65 mph. Gearing is very tall, making engine appear sluggish, took some time to get used to having to rev up to take off, but love the mpg, 24/28.

Nice & Slow
By Ben on 08/14/08 15:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great truck, nice looking, great mpg, very slow. I have an auto with 63,000. Something squeaks when i go over bumps.

Disappointment
By Joe on 07/07/08 22:56 PM (PDT)

The 4X2 V6 Frontier has limited power and handles poorly. Don't try to go up hill in 5th gear with the A/C on. After 8,000 miles the A/C compressor pulley started squealing and then broke off. this truck will get stuck in HARD PACKED sand with all season tires so get the All Terrain. The stock speakers blew out twice on both sides and the cd deck always froze up. I just replaced them with aftermarket due to the warranty expiration. The # 4 and #6 spark plugs are very hard to get to and the alignment has never been correct. Even after getting new tires and having an ajustment kit added it pulls. The clutch pedal squeaks after every rain so keep WD40 in the garage. Generic fender flares fade!!

July 2007
By July 07 on 07/12/07 10:04 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab Standard 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck from my father. I have had it for 2 months and it has 35,000 miles on it. Yes I said 35,000! Absolutely no power. Basically it is like driving a low model 4cyl sedan. Get the 6 cyl if you expect to haul anything. Forget about the accelerating with the AC on. Getting about 21 MPG highway as I really only drive on highways. Belts squeak a lot. I would recommend buying this truck if you can get it below the Edmunds vehicle pricing. It is handy to drive around. No mechanical issues since it was in the family - it was bought new.

Good Commuter
By DJ on 06/17/07 19:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought brand new with only 6 miles on the odometer. Haven't had a single major problem. Had the belts replaced at 57000 miles. Other than that, oil changes and gas fill-ups. It doesn't have very much power and the A/C drains even more from the already struggling engine. However, my 5spd manual gets pretty good gas mileage (as much as 28.5 hwy).

Nissan's go..go...go and go.............
By odachimaster on 01/01/07 19:39 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned Nissan mini-trucks since 1984 purely by accident Toyota at the time were to stuck-up so I compared the 2 trucks and Nissan had the better truck on paper and since they were willing to deal I had that truck 12 years 188k and never changed a clutch this is my third one I have 51k on this one and I put new tires on it not to long ago.(I got 88k on 1st set of truck tires) I have had nothing wrong with this truck other then what I or my son have done to it.(Bent back bumper, My son's Battle Bot hurled a 10lb. Alum. box 100' into my truck blowing out my window and leaving a nasty gash all fixed) So, I say if you want something dependable you cannot go wrong with Nissan.

good truck
By jarius on 07/26/06 10:28 AM (PDT)

this is my first truck and my next truck will be a nissan

Frontier Desert Runner
By crazymagman on 04/29/06 20:10 PM (PDT)

Have had the truck just over a year and have not been overly thrilled. As a Desert Runner it is fun to drive off road and you can go anywhere you want, but it feels unconnected from the road and like it is working very hard on the interstate to keep up to speed. It's okay, but not quite as good as I would have liked.