2002 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:
Avoid this Lemon
By ikeburns on 06/30/14 19:04 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 4WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

This truck has been a lemon since the day I bought it. The knock sensor and the catalytic converters (yes, plural) go bad at 100k miles, and you're looking at 3k to fix all this, or else you can't pass emissions. I've talked to mechanics and they say that they see this all the time with Nissan frontiers. You'll need to get the Nissan parts, because aftermarket parts aren't compatible and you'll waste your money, & still not pass emissions. The AC has gone out on me twice, and even the electrical components struggle. I've only got 145k highway miles, and I've struggled mightily with the catalytic converters, knock sensors, AC unit (broken twice), electrical, tailgate handle, door handle

old truck new love
By carol_okc on 01/03/11 15:01 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 4WD LB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I looked long and hard for the perfect truck - and I've found it. I've always driven full-size pickups but wanted better economy, 4wd, a decent cargo capacity, and room for my two big dogs for everything except hauling the big round bales of hay. Still have the 2500 Ram for the latter, but the Frontier handles everything else beautifully. Since I tend to drive my vehicles forever, I wasn't concerned about this being older and having a bit over 100k miles on it. I did have my mechanic go over it thoroughly, freshening several things that needed to be addressed, but still brought it in at my budgeted figure - and expect to drive it at least another 100k miles. Can you tell I love it??

Little truck, lotta truck !
By john d on 02/23/09 17:13 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 2WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I use the truck primarily to tow a 3000 lb camper. The 3.3 L engine in the 2002 was rated at only 170 hp but this little truck seems to use all of them as it tows the camper plus another 500 lbs of camping gear as though it is not there. That is both with power and mileage. The camper and gear doubles the weight of the truck alone with no more than a 15-20 % increase in fuel consumption. For power I'm comparing it to my old Ford full-size with a 351 V-8. Never any maintenance in nearly 8 years of use other than regular preventative maintenance. Cannot recommend this little truck too much!!

Awesome Frontier
By FYREGOD on 01/07/08 21:56 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 2WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I have 2 complaints with my truck. It's averaging below 20 mpg. I previously owned a '99 S-10 V6 that averaged just over 20 mpg. I was really expecting the newer Frontier to be a little over 20, but I average about 18. Half of my 60 daily commute miles are highway. A few months ago I drove 1500 miles to visit family in California and it averaged 19 mpg (averaging 80 mph). I am very impressed with it's performance. Shortly after purchase the stereo won't play or eject CDs (err03), but it sounds great still. I am also considering buying a new extended cab Frontier when this one is paid off. Overall I'd give it about a 95% satisfactory rating.

2002 Nissan Frontier Saved my Life
By doris on 07/25/07 13:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 2WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

This truck has been a delight to drive. In only 4 short months, I grew to LOVE it and the ability it provided to haul things around. However, last weekend, I ran off the road in the rain and crashed head-on into a large tree. My truck gave its life for me! The police officer said I probably would have been killed, or certainly seriously injured, were it not for the air bag and seat belt. My air bag, seat belt, and the structural integrity of the truck saved my life. I had only a few bruises. The truck was totaled, but I was so impressed by its performance while I owned it and in this worst of circumstances, that I'm buying another one!

Frontier SC
By Bob D on 01/13/07 17:26 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SC-V6 4WD LB (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

This is the second Frontier I've had and this time I will never purchase another Nissan again. I had reliability issues with the first Frontier that I had, a 2000 and was offered a "good deal" on a trade in on a 2002. The 2002 has been no better. This vehicle is extremely costly to maintain.

2002 Frontier just so-so
By Larry Cline on 10/27/06 15:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SE-V6 2WD LB (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

A bit underpowered. Poor fuel economy (15-17 mpg in combined city/highway use. Fairly comfortable, with good room front & back, although back less so for adults. The long bed is handy, although it makes thre truck very difficult to park; a short bed with the removable bed extender might be good enough if you don't haul large items regularly. One extremely annoying design flaw: the vents cannot be closed completely off, and the ductwork runs close to the engine, so hot air is blown in all the time. On days over about 65 degrees, you have to keep the a/c turned on or windows down or it gets very warm inside.

Nissan quality cars and trucks
By THOMAS MANZO on 06/02/06 17:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 4WD LB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned a couple of Nissans and they are both outstanding vehicles. Reliable quality vehicles. I never had to worry about being let down or stuck somewhere on long trips cross country and I drive them hard. High mileage vehicles and they handle and drive like new. Very happy and satisfied with the vehicle, and I love my 2002 4WD Longbed fully loaded Frontier.

Super Yellow Truck
By street2nerz on 04/10/06 13:50 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SC-V6 4WD LB (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Overall, this is THE BEST truck I have ever owned! Absolutely NO mechanical issues AT since new. About the only thing I wish were different are the Front seats, they have no lumbar support. and the addition of a footrest would have been great. Other than that, this is a great truck. I particularly like the styling over the newer nismos as well. It's just better! Oh, one last item, the brakes are good, but easily could have been much better, when are the manufactures gonna get wise about slapping some brembo'son their sport trucks! WHEN!!..I'd easily pay the difference. I am not easy on my vehicles but this one has really done a great job. Break in your engine and change the oil often!

this is great truck
By 10 speed on 10/15/05 10:31 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 4WD LB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

this is my first owned pickup truck but have driven many at jobs that i have had. it is a very good truck and i have an average gas mileage of about 17 and a half around town and highway if on highway only i get about 20 mpg if i set the cruise control and let ride. have not had any trouble with it except the seat belt lite keeps going on and off and have had to have the switch replaced already and is now doing it again. would recommmend this truck to anyone. family or single. needs some more power under the hood but runs good. i got a great deal on it over 6 thousand off the sale price, when purchased new. fun to drive and even my buddy likes it to drive and ride it.