True to it's Nissan/Datsun heritage
By anymouse1 on
2001 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)
I've owned 3 of these trucks, starting with a 1970 Datsun PL521 (my first truck), and a 95 Nissan Hardbody XE. This 2001 base model XE 4 cylinder 5 speed is as good and reliable as the prior trucks. I bought it in June 2008 and it had only 85K on it. It now has 116K, and is barely broken in. When I first got it, I repainted it the original Silver and installed a new set of Firestone A/T tires. I've only performed basics maintenance and a tune up and a newer battery. I've driven this truck on one long trip to MO to bring back a bass boat from my Dad's place. It towed pretty well, even in the Western VA mountains. (3rd gear up hills) I highly recommend this truck!
Favorite Features
Reliability and gas mileage. I average 21, mixed city and highway, and 27 highway. I've never seen below 20 mpg. It is surprisingly comfortable with the bucket seats. The A/C/Heat works very well.
Suggested Improvements
Honestly, for this year of truck, none. The newer style Frontiers are larger and I wish they still made the smaller ones like this, which is why I chose it.