Efficiency over Power
By bkaiser on
2001 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)
I bought this truck used from an individual in 12/05 and have since put about 12,000 miles on it. Overall, I love this little truck for what it is: an inexpensive, efficient little hauler. It's not very powerful or roomy on the inside, but for a "compact" truck (of which there really aren't any more, these days) it excels in many other areas. I routinely average 26 mpg on the highway (as high as 30mpg on a couple of trips) and about 22 mpg in mixed/city driving -- this is fantastic, I think, given that this is a TRUCK and not at all designed for efficiency. I've had a few mechanical issues to deal with (front suspension bushings worn, rear shocks worn) but nothing major to date.
Favorite Features
The great gas mileage is one of my favorite things about this truck. Also, I'm impressed by the number of storage places in the cab -- there are 5 (!) cupholders, a deep console, and various other storage areas scattered throughout. Also, the truck rides pretty well on the highway, but it's no car
Suggested Improvements
The tailgate latch feels very flimsy and cheap. The truck's structure doesn't feel very solid -- it quivers and shakes quite a bit on rough roads, and there are a ton of rattles from the rear of the cabin. I wish the 4cyl engine was a bit more powerful, but not at the expense of gas mileage.