Used 2001 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

2001 Nissan Frontier

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

01' Nissan Frontier v6 - NOT Recommended
By BaLLSnatch

2001 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab SE-V6 2WD (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I would never recommend this truck to anyone. I am not saying it is horrible, it is just not a "truck". To begin with, these 3.3's are VERY underpowered. I would expect a small underpowered motor to have great milage, Yet they are HORRIBLE gas hogs !!! You might as well have a 350 v8 !!! Because, No matter city or highway driving and no matter what type gas, you can EXPECT 15 miles per gallon. The exhaust manifolds crack after about 75k miles, but, LUCKILY they are relatively easy to change. Handling is no good. After a lot of modifications and upgrades I still do not like it. (I take care of my vehicles and expect the most from them) I have 98' S10 which I would RECOMMEND any day over it!

Favorite Features

I have come to like roomyness of the cab (with only 2 people inside - 3+ persons will NEVER ride comfortably). The seats can be relaxed back and you have plenty of room to stretch out. Tortion bars were a good feature when I decided to lift it. Honestly, you get what you pay for. They are cheap$.

Suggested Improvements

1: The bed is too short. After you put a toolbox in, there isnt enough room for anything. BUT, the long bed 4 door models are just as bad in other areas. 2: The motor needs to be scrapped. Who's idea was it to use an outdated underpowered gas hog CAR engine in a truck ? 3: Styling imprvmnts !

Rear End Problem
By 203

2001 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After 43,000 miles the rear-end destroyed itself. Over the course of 43,000 miles it was used to haul a 1000 pound load 10-12 times. Other than that, it was used only for light weight items. The 4 cylinder version severely suffers from acceleration underperformace problems but the fuel milage is good. Don't expect the dealership to suggest that a repair may be covered under warranty. They may act like that the truck doesn't have a warranty.

Favorite Features

This truck rides like a car. It is good on long trips.

Great Compact Truck
By S. Carlblom

2001 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my 2001 Nissan Frontier for a little over a couple months now, and have had no problems. It drives great, but could use a little more power out of the 4-cyl. motor. Its styling is impeccable, interior and exterior. I get great gas milage, about 25+ hwy, and 20 city. It's very reliable, and always runs well. It had everything I was looking for in a compact truck.

Favorite Features

Great fuel economy, styling, and a simple, well-running engine.

Suggested Improvements

It needs more power from the 4-cylinder engine. A K&N air filter certainly helped, but it could use more stock power.

Questionable Nissan Quality
By ablit

2001 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 2WD (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

After 51,000miles, my 2001 Frontier's AC would not blow cold air. i had it checked out at the dealer and the low end hose was leaking and was replaced,at my cost. After a few days, hot air was blowing again. Now, it's the evaporative cooler behind the dash that is leaking. This, I think, is a highly unexpected problem to occur on a car this new. I thought Nissans were very reliable, that is why I bought it, in the first place.

Favorite Features

I liked the crew cab, with the rear defroster, locking tailgate, bed extender, and sporty roof rack.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the back of the rear seat to something more usable. Make a better console between the front seats. This car could also use an overhead console and under seat storage area in the rear.

3700
By NISSANOWNER

2001 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab SE-V6 2WD (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

This truck is more like an suv with a truck bed however the four door back seat is very small no normal size adult can fit. The standard v6 is weak even up hill the look and the interior are the reson i bought this truck and the fact it has had no problems, but it just a little to slow and wussy in the long run it will still be a good running truck when i trade it in.

Favorite Features

radio 6disc cd

Suggested Improvements

more power