Used 2001 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews - 88 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Daily commuters delight
By daily commuter

2001 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my truck in 2001. my registration date was 9-11. This truck got 94,000 on original tires. 105,000 on brakes. 160,000 and counting on the clutch. I just took off the seat covers and the seats are like brand new. I'm giving the truck to my son and I believe he will continue to enjoy it. I just got the front wheel alignment done for the first time last week. Mostly freeway miles but I have taken it in the mountains and to the ocean. I got 24 miles to the gallon but I had to cruise at 63 miles an hour to do it. If you put 89 octane in it you will get the 27 miles a gallon they claim. And you get to go 65 miles an hour. I will miss this vehicle.

I liked the looks the interior the handling the bed length. I have avoided tons of accidents do to its visibility. And the engine torque is perfect for down hill rolling.

I think they had it right with the size of this vehicle and wish they would have made this the standard size for the Nissan "datsun" truck. Just like our economy got to big the vehicles did too.

My first Pick-up
By Frontier Frank

2001 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab SC-V6 2WD (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Bought brand-new. Went into dealership to purchase another type of vehicle could not make a deal and asked if they had any of the new super-charged pick-ups. Drove it, bought it and 9 years later have no regrets. It's the most fun vehicle to drive and the workmanship and paint of the vehicle have been outstanding. Turned out the dealer I bought it from was the best I have ever dealt with.

Looks, power, sitting up high, the handiness of the vehicle.

improve gas mileage and don't use premium. (That's been taken care of on the new models)

one issue after another
By dakota

2001 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab SC-V6 2WD (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

Well to begin with I bought this truck to replace my Toyota tacoma which got totaled out,had 85,000 miles on it when purchased and like a timer when it hit 100,000 miles everything has started falling apart, First off the tie rod went out which costs $300.00 next thing to go was the common knock sensor $600.00 which nissian ignores right after that the then the wheel bearing went and now its currently sitting in my driveway because the check engine light came on and it started missing like crazy and it now needs a $300.00 oxygen sensor which is absolutely outrageous. my toyota had 145,000 with just a power steering pump go out because it had 33inch tires on it will never own another nissian.

6 disc changer

fix the knock sensor issues and back the customers up a little bit.

Great truck
By nd

2001 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab SC-V6 2WD (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

I've had the truck for a couple of years now and have had a few issues with it but all in all has been a good truck. I have put more than my fair share of abuse on it such as offroading and heavy towing and it's done allright. Haven't had any real Major problems. Another suggested improvement is the front bumper is very flimsy I've had to replace it twice from offroading in snow.

I really like the six disc changer.

To start with it is almost impossible to do any basic engine work on it, such as the new knock sensor it needs is a $120 part that will cost $580 to get installed. Another complaint is gas mileage is 12.5 with a 31in tire on it which isn't that big of a step up from stock.

fun with some issues
By nissan owner

2001 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab SE-V6 4WD (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

It has the power you would expect from a V6. The four wheel drive is great. Has good clearance. Has good strong wheels and big tires so it is capable of going of the beaten path if needed. The only problems so far are that we needed to change the alternator when I first got it and the front upper control arms needed the bushings replaced to fix negative camber on the both sides of the front. The most recent issue this truck has is it makes a grinding or scraping noise like metal on metal on the passengers side right before the transmission shifts up. When the tranny shifts the sound goes away. Hasn't effected the performance but sounds horrible. 1,2,3, on fan motor don't work,don't mind

sound of engine, and it is fun to drive, reliable as long as you keep up with maintenance.

more room in cabin, gas mileage. not a improvement but when did the upper control arm ball joints when did the bushings.