Used 2001 Nissan Frontier Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Frontier Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Most reliable vehicle we have ever owned
By amd6577

2001 Nissan Frontier Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this 2001 Frontier XE brand new in fall 2000. It has never been our primary vehicle, but has been driven almost daily since we've had it, and has made its fair share of several-hour trips. I cannot adequately describe how reliable and drama-free this truck has been. Our plan is to keep it forever!

* Sits a little higher than most base-model pickups * The only thing that has stopped working after almost 14 years of ownership is the disc reader inside the radio. * Value-- wow. So many dependable vehicle years for such a terrific price. * Nissan's customer service is significantly better than some other brands we've experienced.

* The headliner is not built to last. It is made of that knit plush felty material. Trucks like this needs a vinyl headliner or even just a pure plastic panel. *The gas mileage is so-so for a 4-cylinder ride, but the truck's lack of mechanical tantrums will save you money.

The best truck I will ever own.
By chrischris70

2001 Nissan Frontier Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My grandfather bought this truck in 2001 on 9-21, while he was on his only break back in town from helping clean up the 9-11 wreckage. This truck had 127,615 miles on it the day that it was totaled, and it held up very well every mile. Even after a 60 MPH crash it was running (very poorly I mind you, but running none the less) and I was able to drive it off of the road out of danger of further collisions. The wreck was not due to blind spots or and defect with the truck, it was do to the 72 year old woman who had no legal rights to be driving, pulling out in front of me while I was going highway speeds. The truck was always a great, dependable vehicle and I never had any issues with it. The visibility of this tuck, had helped me avoid many accidents. The dynamics of the vehicle allowed me to maneuver it to keep the accident from killing anyone, and I was successful ensring that there were no serious injuries, and the biggest injury being a black eye. The truck always got great gas mileage compared to other vehicles of similar years. I will miss this truck. It was a very reliable truck, and it had good dead start acceleration for if I needed it. I will be looking for another one if I can find one, and will be buying it because I trust and love this truck. I strongly recommend one.

The fuel economy, reliability, acceleration, and the durability.

Improve the stereo, that's the only thing I can think of.

Strictly Utilitarian
By devilsadvocate

2001 Nissan Frontier Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Nissan created the Frontier XE with reliability and function in mind. It eliminated all components that are prone to fail: power windows, locks and seats and created a truck made specifically to endure a very harsh work environment. I used it as a commuter and motorcycle hauler. For these activities it performed very well. Of the 40,000 miles I logged on this truck it spent not one hour in the shop aside routine maintenance. The larger Frontiers are designed for comfort and performance but the XE is as rugged as it gets. The interior is composed of durable plastics and rubber. The bench seat restricts the already small cab but is overall comfortable.

Durability. Reliability. Huge after market industry. As a student, I have had to replace some of my taillights from time to time because people would back into my truck occasionally as they were in a hurry. I found the replacement parts all for under $50.

Power windows and locks. No bench seat; additional space would provide for a center console. Paint needs an improved clear coat. You may find your self waxing this truck every three months. Gas mileage was average for a 2.4L engine at 22/26 city/hwy.

2001 Nissan Frontier
By thedevilsadvocate

2001 Nissan Frontier Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This truck is rock solid - it was designed to work. The larger Frontiers are for play, this truck is entirely for utility. The gas mileage wasn't bad at about a consistent 22 mpg; I used it as a student commuter or to haul my motorcycles. I never had a single mechanical issue with this vehicle (I logged 60,000 miles!). The engine is very easy to work on (I used to be in mech.engineering), insurance is dirt cheap and the body panels are easily recoverable from eBay at decent prices. This truck is much like a Lego set if you ask me.

Very reliable. I drove it for 12 consistent hours once and not a problem. Another truck backed out and broke my taillight; I bought another one on eBay for $15. I saw full body panels going for $60!

The illustrated top speed is 110 mph, but anything faster than 70 is just unsafe in this little hauler. It is susceptible to wind shifts and lacks passing power. Before I sold it, I believe the bushings were becoming problematic.

2001 Nissan Fontier 2x4 reg cab
By Newton1234567

2001 Nissan Frontier Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have been impressed with this pickup. The only problem is that the rubber seals around the plastic fender flares are comming unglued. I hope it's covered by the warranty. I have drived a few 8hour days and it's pretty comfortable for a reg cab bench seat.

locking tailgate,

more room behind the seat (although I don't think they make the reg cab anymore), and the rubber seals on the fender.