Used 2001 Nissan Frontier XE King Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

2001 Nissan Frontier King Cab

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

True to it's Nissan/Datsun heritage
By anymouse1

2001 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned 3 of these trucks, starting with a 1970 Datsun PL521 (my first truck), and a 95 Nissan Hardbody XE. This 2001 base model XE 4 cylinder 5 speed is as good and reliable as the prior trucks. I bought it in June 2008 and it had only 85K on it. It now has 116K, and is barely broken in. When I first got it, I repainted it the original Silver and installed a new set of Firestone A/T tires. I've only performed basics maintenance and a tune up and a newer battery. I've driven this truck on one long trip to MO to bring back a bass boat from my Dad's place. It towed pretty well, even in the Western VA mountains. (3rd gear up hills) I highly recommend this truck!

Favorite Features

Reliability and gas mileage. I average 21, mixed city and highway, and 27 highway. I've never seen below 20 mpg. It is surprisingly comfortable with the bucket seats. The A/C/Heat works very well.

Suggested Improvements

Honestly, for this year of truck, none. The newer style Frontiers are larger and I wish they still made the smaller ones like this, which is why I chose it.

Love my Frontier!!
By FrontierLuver

2001 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've got 78,000 miles on my baby and I have no complaints whatsoever. Have not had one problem. Have done nothing but regular maintenance. I would highly recommend this truck to anyone looking for a good, solid, reliable little truck.

Favorite Features

Very sharp looking inside and out. Smooth, quiet ride, easy shifting.

Suggested Improvements

Although it's got some kick for a little 4 cyl. it needs a little more power.

I love Frontiers
By mutants-dad

2001 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love this truck. I've had no maintenance problems with it. It hauls what I need it to haul. The price was right and it got great mileage for a truck. It was built so tough that when I was involved in an accident with a dumb kid driving a Sequoia my little truck got the better of that big SUV.

Favorite Features

Value, fuel efficiency, style, fun to drive and still a useful truck.

Suggested Improvements

For what I bought it for I can't think of any.

Efficiency over Power
By bkaiser

2001 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck used from an individual in 12/05 and have since put about 12,000 miles on it. Overall, I love this little truck for what it is: an inexpensive, efficient little hauler. It's not very powerful or roomy on the inside, but for a "compact" truck (of which there really aren't any more, these days) it excels in many other areas. I routinely average 26 mpg on the highway (as high as 30mpg on a couple of trips) and about 22 mpg in mixed/city driving -- this is fantastic, I think, given that this is a TRUCK and not at all designed for efficiency. I've had a few mechanical issues to deal with (front suspension bushings worn, rear shocks worn) but nothing major to date.

Favorite Features

The great gas mileage is one of my favorite things about this truck. Also, I'm impressed by the number of storage places in the cab -- there are 5 (!) cupholders, a deep console, and various other storage areas scattered throughout. Also, the truck rides pretty well on the highway, but it's no car

Suggested Improvements

The tailgate latch feels very flimsy and cheap. The truck's structure doesn't feel very solid -- it quivers and shakes quite a bit on rough roads, and there are a ton of rattles from the rear of the cabin. I wish the 4cyl engine was a bit more powerful, but not at the expense of gas mileage.

Rear End Problem
By 203

2001 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After 43,000 miles the rear-end destroyed itself. Over the course of 43,000 miles it was used to haul a 1000 pound load 10-12 times. Other than that, it was used only for light weight items. The 4 cylinder version severely suffers from acceleration underperformace problems but the fuel milage is good. Don't expect the dealership to suggest that a repair may be covered under warranty. They may act like that the truck doesn't have a warranty.

Favorite Features

This truck rides like a car. It is good on long trips.