Used 2001 Nissan Frontier King Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

2001 Nissan Frontier King Cab

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

True to it's Nissan/Datsun heritage
By anymouse1

2001 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned 3 of these trucks, starting with a 1970 Datsun PL521 (my first truck), and a 95 Nissan Hardbody XE. This 2001 base model XE 4 cylinder 5 speed is as good and reliable as the prior trucks. I bought it in June 2008 and it had only 85K on it. It now has 116K, and is barely broken in. When I first got it, I repainted it the original Silver and installed a new set of Firestone A/T tires. I've only performed basics maintenance and a tune up and a newer battery. I've driven this truck on one long trip to MO to bring back a bass boat from my Dad's place. It towed pretty well, even in the Western VA mountains. (3rd gear up hills) I highly recommend this truck!

Favorite Features

Reliability and gas mileage. I average 21, mixed city and highway, and 27 highway. I've never seen below 20 mpg. It is surprisingly comfortable with the bucket seats. The A/C/Heat works very well.

Suggested Improvements

Honestly, for this year of truck, none. The newer style Frontiers are larger and I wish they still made the smaller ones like this, which is why I chose it.

Daily commuters delight
By daily commuter

2001 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my truck in 2001. my registration date was 9-11. This truck got 94,000 on original tires. 105,000 on brakes. 160,000 and counting on the clutch. I just took off the seat covers and the seats are like brand new. I'm giving the truck to my son and I believe he will continue to enjoy it. I just got the front wheel alignment done for the first time last week. Mostly freeway miles but I have taken it in the mountains and to the ocean. I got 24 miles to the gallon but I had to cruise at 63 miles an hour to do it. If you put 89 octane in it you will get the 27 miles a gallon they claim. And you get to go 65 miles an hour. I will miss this vehicle.

Favorite Features

I liked the looks the interior the handling the bed length. I have avoided tons of accidents do to its visibility. And the engine torque is perfect for down hill rolling.

Suggested Improvements

I think they had it right with the size of this vehicle and wish they would have made this the standard size for the Nissan "datsun" truck. Just like our economy got to big the vehicles did too.

My first Pick-up
By Frontier Frank

2001 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab SC-V6 2WD (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Bought brand-new. Went into dealership to purchase another type of vehicle could not make a deal and asked if they had any of the new super-charged pick-ups. Drove it, bought it and 9 years later have no regrets. It's the most fun vehicle to drive and the workmanship and paint of the vehicle have been outstanding. Turned out the dealer I bought it from was the best I have ever dealt with.

Favorite Features

Looks, power, sitting up high, the handiness of the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

improve gas mileage and don't use premium. (That's been taken care of on the new models)

fun with some issues
By nissan owner

2001 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab SE-V6 4WD (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

It has the power you would expect from a V6. The four wheel drive is great. Has good clearance. Has good strong wheels and big tires so it is capable of going of the beaten path if needed. The only problems so far are that we needed to change the alternator when I first got it and the front upper control arms needed the bushings replaced to fix negative camber on the both sides of the front. The most recent issue this truck has is it makes a grinding or scraping noise like metal on metal on the passengers side right before the transmission shifts up. When the tranny shifts the sound goes away. Hasn't effected the performance but sounds horrible. 1,2,3, on fan motor don't work,don't mind

Favorite Features

sound of engine, and it is fun to drive, reliable as long as you keep up with maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

more room in cabin, gas mileage. not a improvement but when did the upper control arm ball joints when did the bushings.

Love-it, if you can afford fuel
By Dan Myers

2001 Nissan Frontier King Cab 2dr King Cab XE-V6 4WD (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

This truck can go anywhere, and do just about anything. I keep it nice and clean and get so many compliments on its beefy, in your face look. I like the fact that I can work on it myself easily, even though I have had no major problems just the normal wear items. The rear bumper is hard to keep from chips even though I have factory oversized mud flaps. Love the color med. blue with dark gray trim. The worst is the mileage 13.5 around town, and 15.4 on a trip, for a small truck?? I have buddies with full sized trucks who do better. But I still like the truck.

Favorite Features

Real easy dash board, even at night. Easy to find things under hood, and work on.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage!!