Used 2001 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

2001 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

transmission from h____
By kaki johnson

2001 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 4WD (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

If you want a hole in your head and wallet, buy this vehicle. Nissan has known about these leaks into the transmission, and for most people, the problems do not normally start until over 90,000 miles, and then there is no help from the dealer/company. These CEO's should be sent to prison for knowing refusing to call a recall, and settlement in 2012 suit is a joke for most consumers. Shame on Nissan. I will never buy a Nissan ever again.

Been an outstanding truck
By Dg

2001 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SC-V6 4WD (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

First off I don't write reviews, but i thought I would make an exception. I bought my 2001 ad crew cab used in 2003 with about 30k on the clock. I have it a 3 inch lift and a few other mods, fast forward to 2015 and I still have the truck, 190k now and it still gets compliments and it still runs great. I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere, in fact I still use it to go on road trips across multiple states some times towing a travel trailer, it has held up well. I thought I would write this review because I've seen people say "I'll never buy a Nissan again" "my toyota never had problems" and that may be true, however I also have a 1990 hardbody that I bought used in 97 and it now is approaching the 300k Mark and other than 2 clutches and a timing chain, it's still running great, and i also have two very good friends who both have toyotas, both with 22re and both didn't make it very far past 145k before a rebuild was in order, now I'm not digging toyota, I believe they make good vehicles, and quite honestly ,that's what I originally wanted to buy, but I am far happier with my nissans. They have been super reliable, you will usually see the reviews of people who think they have been wronged somehow, and things do happen, but I have owned 4 kids and and they are very reliable. Love my frontier, it's been my daily driver for 12 years,and just now the leather seat is starting to wear out, supercharger is still original. It does not leak or burn anything, the gas mileage would be my only complaint. I average 15mpg but I also have larger tires...can't say enough good things about the truck

one issue after another
By dakota

2001 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SC-V6 2WD (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

Well to begin with I bought this truck to replace my Toyota tacoma which got totaled out,had 85,000 miles on it when purchased and like a timer when it hit 100,000 miles everything has started falling apart, First off the tie rod went out which costs $300.00 next thing to go was the common knock sensor $600.00 which nissian ignores right after that the then the wheel bearing went and now its currently sitting in my driveway because the check engine light came on and it started missing like crazy and it now needs a $300.00 oxygen sensor which is absolutely outrageous. my toyota had 145,000 with just a power steering pump go out because it had 33inch tires on it will never own another nissian.

6 disc changer

fix the knock sensor issues and back the customers up a little bit.

Great truck
By nd

2001 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SC-V6 2WD (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

I've had the truck for a couple of years now and have had a few issues with it but all in all has been a good truck. I have put more than my fair share of abuse on it such as offroading and heavy towing and it's done allright. Haven't had any real Major problems. Another suggested improvement is the front bumper is very flimsy I've had to replace it twice from offroading in snow.

I really like the six disc changer.

To start with it is almost impossible to do any basic engine work on it, such as the new knock sensor it needs is a $120 part that will cost $580 to get installed. Another complaint is gas mileage is 12.5 with a 31in tire on it which isn't that big of a step up from stock.

Give me tires or give me death!!!
By mgm

2001 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SC-V6 4WD (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

Nice truck overall. Interior nice but a little small. Back seat okay for kids but not for adults. Replaced the supercharger under warranty. Gas mileage horrible compared to my 93 frontier. Biggest problem are the tires. The high performance 17 inch tires are no good. They only get 15- 18k miles and I get many flats on the dirt rds I travel. The only available tire is $220.00 apiece. UGH!! I find the 4ft bed too small as well. I put a cap on mine which eliminates the use of the bed extender. Truck looks nice and have had minimal function problems. I have 54k for mileage and had to replace the back springs and need a whole exhaust system. Can you say time to trade.

General looks and nice interior (even though too small)

More efficient engine and get rid of the performance rims and tires. If you market as a 4wd assume someone might want to take it off the tar without getting flats.