2001 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:
True to it's Nissan/Datsun heritage
By anymouse1 on 02/12/12 19:38 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned 3 of these trucks, starting with a 1970 Datsun PL521 (my first truck), and a 95 Nissan Hardbody XE. This 2001 base model XE 4 cylinder 5 speed is as good and reliable as the prior trucks. I bought it in June 2008 and it had only 85K on it. It now has 116K, and is barely broken in. When I first got it, I repainted it the original Silver and installed a new set of Firestone A/T tires. I've only performed basics maintenance and a tune up and a newer battery. I've driven this truck on one long trip to MO to bring back a bass boat from my Dad's place. It towed pretty well, even in the Western VA mountains. (3rd gear up hills) I highly recommend this truck!

Love my Frontier!!
By FrontierLuver on 07/10/08 16:18 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've got 78,000 miles on my baby and I have no complaints whatsoever. Have not had one problem. Have done nothing but regular maintenance. I would highly recommend this truck to anyone looking for a good, solid, reliable little truck.

I love Frontiers
By mutants-dad on 11/05/06 10:51 AM (PST)

2001 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love this truck. I've had no maintenance problems with it. It hauls what I need it to haul. The price was right and it got great mileage for a truck. It was built so tough that when I was involved in an accident with a dumb kid driving a Sequoia my little truck got the better of that big SUV.

Efficiency over Power
By bkaiser on 09/12/06 16:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck used from an individual in 12/05 and have since put about 12,000 miles on it. Overall, I love this little truck for what it is: an inexpensive, efficient little hauler. It's not very powerful or roomy on the inside, but for a "compact" truck (of which there really aren't any more, these days) it excels in many other areas. I routinely average 26 mpg on the highway (as high as 30mpg on a couple of trips) and about 22 mpg in mixed/city driving -- this is fantastic, I think, given that this is a TRUCK and not at all designed for efficiency. I've had a few mechanical issues to deal with (front suspension bushings worn, rear shocks worn) but nothing major to date.

Rear End Problem
By 203 on 02/03/05 21:45 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After 43,000 miles the rear-end destroyed itself. Over the course of 43,000 miles it was used to haul a 1000 pound load 10-12 times. Other than that, it was used only for light weight items. The 4 cylinder version severely suffers from acceleration underperformace problems but the fuel milage is good. Don't expect the dealership to suggest that a repair may be covered under warranty. They may act like that the truck doesn't have a warranty.

Great Compact Truck
By S. Carlblom on 01/05/05 19:05 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my 2001 Nissan Frontier for a little over a couple months now, and have had no problems. It drives great, but could use a little more power out of the 4-cyl. motor. Its styling is impeccable, interior and exterior. I get great gas milage, about 25+ hwy, and 20 city. It's very reliable, and always runs well. It had everything I was looking for in a compact truck.

it's got what i need
By amlikethewind on 03/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

paid 7900 - 43k miles, great condition. it's our third vehicle behind a passat (speed) and explorer (road trips. drives great for a truck - i can take turns hard and it's got enough acceleration to pass the idiots yapping on their cell phones. this is a strong 4 cyl engine, and i got 26 mpg on the first tank. i'm the meanest person i know - kicked a lot of tires and yelled at a lot of sales people. this truck had the best combo of comfort, price, and reliability i could find. also, the dealer was quite reasonable to deal with - i would recommend them (http://www.jaymitsubishi.com/en_US/)

dud
By golddust on 03/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle appears to be sold for its looks; as a truck, it is next to worthless, especially given the that is equipped with a fake spare tire.

DON"T BUY!!!!
By rustyvell on 01/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

A/C breaks down every 5-6 months. No power in the 4 cycl. eng. Service at dealerships No Help!

Go Frontier!!!!!!
By monzee on 12/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have thouroughly enjoyed my nissan frontier since I have had it I have done nothing more than have regular oil changes and replaced one brake bulb very low maintence