Used 2001 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Most reliable vehicle we have ever owned
By amd6577

2001 Nissan Frontier 2dr Regular Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this 2001 Frontier XE brand new in fall 2000. It has never been our primary vehicle, but has been driven almost daily since we've had it, and has made its fair share of several-hour trips. I cannot adequately describe how reliable and drama-free this truck has been. Our plan is to keep it forever!

* Sits a little higher than most base-model pickups * The only thing that has stopped working after almost 14 years of ownership is the disc reader inside the radio. * Value-- wow. So many dependable vehicle years for such a terrific price. * Nissan's customer service is significantly better than some other brands we've experienced.

* The headliner is not built to last. It is made of that knit plush felty material. Trucks like this needs a vinyl headliner or even just a pure plastic panel. *The gas mileage is so-so for a 4-cylinder ride, but the truck's lack of mechanical tantrums will save you money.

True to it's Nissan/Datsun heritage
By anymouse1

2001 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned 3 of these trucks, starting with a 1970 Datsun PL521 (my first truck), and a 95 Nissan Hardbody XE. This 2001 base model XE 4 cylinder 5 speed is as good and reliable as the prior trucks. I bought it in June 2008 and it had only 85K on it. It now has 116K, and is barely broken in. When I first got it, I repainted it the original Silver and installed a new set of Firestone A/T tires. I've only performed basics maintenance and a tune up and a newer battery. I've driven this truck on one long trip to MO to bring back a bass boat from my Dad's place. It towed pretty well, even in the Western VA mountains. (3rd gear up hills) I highly recommend this truck!

Reliability and gas mileage. I average 21, mixed city and highway, and 27 highway. I've never seen below 20 mpg. It is surprisingly comfortable with the bucket seats. The A/C/Heat works very well.

Honestly, for this year of truck, none. The newer style Frontiers are larger and I wish they still made the smaller ones like this, which is why I chose it.

The best truck I will ever own.
By chrischris70

2001 Nissan Frontier 2dr Regular Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My grandfather bought this truck in 2001 on 9-21, while he was on his only break back in town from helping clean up the 9-11 wreckage. This truck had 127,615 miles on it the day that it was totaled, and it held up very well every mile. Even after a 60 MPH crash it was running (very poorly I mind you, but running none the less) and I was able to drive it off of the road out of danger of further collisions. The wreck was not due to blind spots or and defect with the truck, it was do to the 72 year old woman who had no legal rights to be driving, pulling out in front of me while I was going highway speeds. The truck was always a great, dependable vehicle and I never had any issues with it. The visibility of this tuck, had helped me avoid many accidents. The dynamics of the vehicle allowed me to maneuver it to keep the accident from killing anyone, and I was successful ensring that there were no serious injuries, and the biggest injury being a black eye. The truck always got great gas mileage compared to other vehicles of similar years. I will miss this truck. It was a very reliable truck, and it had good dead start acceleration for if I needed it. I will be looking for another one if I can find one, and will be buying it because I trust and love this truck. I strongly recommend one.

The fuel economy, reliability, acceleration, and the durability.

Improve the stereo, that's the only thing I can think of.

Daily commuters delight
By daily commuter

2001 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE 2WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my truck in 2001. my registration date was 9-11. This truck got 94,000 on original tires. 105,000 on brakes. 160,000 and counting on the clutch. I just took off the seat covers and the seats are like brand new. I'm giving the truck to my son and I believe he will continue to enjoy it. I just got the front wheel alignment done for the first time last week. Mostly freeway miles but I have taken it in the mountains and to the ocean. I got 24 miles to the gallon but I had to cruise at 63 miles an hour to do it. If you put 89 octane in it you will get the 27 miles a gallon they claim. And you get to go 65 miles an hour. I will miss this vehicle.

I liked the looks the interior the handling the bed length. I have avoided tons of accidents do to its visibility. And the engine torque is perfect for down hill rolling.

I think they had it right with the size of this vehicle and wish they would have made this the standard size for the Nissan "datsun" truck. Just like our economy got to big the vehicles did too.

My first Pick-up
By Frontier Frank

2001 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab SC-V6 2WD (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Bought brand-new. Went into dealership to purchase another type of vehicle could not make a deal and asked if they had any of the new super-charged pick-ups. Drove it, bought it and 9 years later have no regrets. It's the most fun vehicle to drive and the workmanship and paint of the vehicle have been outstanding. Turned out the dealer I bought it from was the best I have ever dealt with.

Looks, power, sitting up high, the handiness of the vehicle.

improve gas mileage and don't use premium. (That's been taken care of on the new models)