Used 1999 Nissan Frontier XE Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

1999 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Good used vehicle
By syclone

1999 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

No problems so far except for an automatic transmission overdrive switch.

Favorite Features

Extended cap is standard and excellent driving manners

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy and a little less bouncy.

Nice quality truck
By Hooker

1999 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought this truck 5 years ago with 31,000 miles. I now have over 200,000 miles as I commute 200 a day to work and home. No major work preformed except for tires, oil changes, brakes and clutch (at 180,000 mile). Truck is comfortable for my daily trips. I average 30 miles per gallon on the highway with a standard tranny. Dependable truck!!

Favorite Features

Extended cab had great leg room and seat that recline. A/C work like a champ to this day.

Suggested Improvements

Horsepower without giving up mileage.

Takes a licking, keeps on ticking!
By brownmanintexas

1999 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

Truck purchased new in 2-99; traded in a buzzy bouncy crappy '98 regular cab Toyota Tacoma. What an upgrade! I love this truck. It has the 4 cylinder engine; as such acceleration is not comparable to gas guzzling V8's. BUT, go west of Kerr County where a 75 MPH speed limit is common. 85MPH in 5th with 24 MPG is no problem with this high revving 16 valve engine. Engine is exceptionally smooth and quiet at speed. Throw away the OEM Firestones and OEM shocks. Buy 4 Bridgestone AT Revos tires and Gabriel Max-Control shocks. Then, enjoy this inexpensive and extraordinary tough little truck. I do.

Favorite Features

Cruise control with steering wheel control. High fuel economy at "driving 'cross Texas" speed. Nice metallic green factory paint & graphics. Ability to operate when grossly overloaded (1900 lbs) or when pulling a trailer with a 3700 lb John Deere 1010 RUS tractor.

Suggested Improvements

Seat needs to go back another 4-6 inches for 6'3" driver. 5-speed manual tranny very notchy when cold. A locking tailgate and gas filler door would defeat local Houston crackheads who took my tailgate. I now have a $29 web tailgate truck; a replacement tailgate is too expensive.

More cons then pros
By p2cpu

1999 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

This truck has been reliable in the sense that it has not broken down. But I have had many problems with the front end (loose torsion bar, sway bar end links breaking loose 3 times). Now my steering needs an alignment. I took it to Foothill Nissan to have my automatic transmission serviced and they overfilled it, causing it to leak all over the undercarriage. My driver side window has always rattled. The windows fog up easily (unlike other trucks I have had). Heat always comes out of the vent, even when you have it on cold. The front fenders dent easily. It is a really great looking truck, but I think they need to work on the quality.

Favorite Features

I like the look of this truck. The bed was designed really well. Rear anti- locking brakes (standard). Reclining bucket seats.

Suggested Improvements

Strengthen up the fenders and front- end. Work on the window design and fix the heat problem coming from the vent (most likely the vent duct is routed near a heat source). Stiffen up the front end so it is not so bouncy.