Used 1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Nissan "Little WorkHorse"
By Henry

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this vehicle in 1998, have had it since. Best vehicle I have ever owned I can count the repairs with one hand. Repaired the ignition key once under warranty, air bag light has been on since 2007 still not repaired, replaced clutch 4/2008 only because I had the money to do it before it went out on me, found out later I still had a few more miles on it. 2009 replaced starter, A/C making humming noise but still works. One more thing replaced headliner. Best truck ever owned, I also own a Maxima. The Frontier beats the Maxima by a long shot on repairs.

Excellent interior, comfortable ride, nice exterior aero dynamic, stylish look, great gas mileage.

Engine could use a little more power, A/C unit could be a lot cooler, stereo could use updating.

Half the cost of aTacoma
By bamagreg

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I moved to the country two years ago and had to have a small truck to drive on the 3 mile gravel road I live on and this is what I bought. I bought it at 100k mile and now it has 140k with no problems. I get 28 mpg going back and forth to work. What a great truck. I'm glad I saved money when I looked at the Toyota Tacoma.

4 cylinder engine has power and great fuel economy.

Head liner coming off.

Good quality, reliable truck
By WC DVD

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought the truck with 186,000 miles on it. The former owner's dad worked at the Nissan Training Center so it was well maintained. Former owner disclosed the transmission was replaced under warranty. I've put 40,000 miles on the truck in 3 years and other than a battery that died with no warning, no major problems. The extra DC power plug has never worked for me. The tailgate latch works but is a bit stiff. The tailgate strip with the Frontier name is beginning to peel off. Interior is a little bland but build quality is good. A lady in a Jaguar hit me in the front right and it all did was scuff the bumper. A tough little truck and I look forward to seeing how far it goes.

Easy to get in out, seats lay back in extended cab. Plenty of room to put stuff behind the seats.

The gas mileage leaves a bit to be desired since I drive 80-90% on the freeway and average about 21 mpg. The 4-cyl engine is a bit underpowered around town unless you leave it out of overdrive.

Exellent Truck!!
By Cartier

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck with 40k miles. 145k now. The only problem so far was the muffler. I replace it and the truck keeps performing like new. I am a snowboard instructor. In winter I take this truck to the mountains and is just the perfect truck for it. I replaced the stereo for a nice eclipse deck new speakers and a sub. This truck is comfortable. I haul a 20ft boat and it does not have any problem. Plenty of torque!!

4WD. Long Bed. ABS in the four tires. Plenty of torque for a 4 cylinder.

None

142000 miles what to look for
By wfcoalrun

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck new. No problems until about 130000 mi. Tachometer works when it wants now. Timing chain guides wore out @130K, bent all the intake valves, fixed myself. Still a daily driver to work, has 144K on it now. Cannot get it to quit coding P1706 (park nuetral position switch on 5-speed manual). Dealer says to replace wiring harness, might solve problem. Truck has been good, so I bought a 2007 and drive '98 to work daily.

Very dependable 4WD. Passenger side lockout hard to turn, pulled it, cleaned it and greased it. Now it is O.K. Truck is not a speed demon, but it does not shy away from heavy workouts.

Nissan already made all the improvements I would suggest. It is the new Frontier.