1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:
Great, except for the headlights
By Floyd on 09/03/06 18:28 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my Nissan Frontier brand new, on the advice of a Toyota dealer friend of mine. He said, "Toyota trucks are great, but so are the Nissans, and they're cheaper." After 8 years and 124,000 miles with my Frontier, I couldn't agree with him more. My truck has been great: no major repairs, no recalls, no production defects. Just change the oil every 6,000 miles and enjoy trouble-free performance. Very comfortable driving position. The 4 cyl. motor is a little underpowered, but the gas mileage is great (21.5 to 28.5 mpg). My only complaint is that the headlights burn out every 18 to 24 months, but you can easily replace the bulbs yourself at a cost of about $13.

Not Happy w/my nissan 98 frontier
By T.K on 05/30/06 10:55 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Had mechanical difficulties w/ this truck since I bought it, not reliable. Bought with 30,000 miles in 2002. Fix oil leak of engine and axle (under warranty), the windshield wiper motor went out during a thunderstorm in the middle of nowhere and I had no windshield wiper use, clutch motor fixed twice w/in 6mos. clutch going out and expensive to fix due to location of clutch. Problem after problem w/ this truck.

Great Truck
By JD on 07/26/05 19:32 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab SE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

90K Miles & going strong. Great on and off road. Very reliable... this truck has never failed to perform. Comfortable to drive & great looking. Paint has held up perfectly in very hot Southwest sun.

Fantastic Truck
By John Lee on 06/14/05 15:40 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab SE 2dr Extended Cab SB

This truck has never let me down in the 6 years i have owned it. No mechanical problems and has been comfortable on long trips. The Nissan frontier is the best truck in its class and is fantastically reliable.

Nissan Frontier
By Nayar on 06/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought it new, now 80000 miles. Very reliable and reasonably comfortable for a truck. Handling not bad, winter driving excellent. I get about 21 miles to the gallon in mixed driving. Had trouble with the AC in the first year, got it fixed under warranty. One of the front wheel locking hubs has become hard to turn, but still works. Hope to keep it at least for another five years. It has the largest truck bed of any pick up - can haul a lot of stuff. Mine is four cylinder, five speed - not much power, but enough for most jobs.

BAD BAD BAD
By me_shell on 01/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my frontier used in 1999. I am currently at 104000 miles. It has been one problem after the next with this truck. From all the wires behind the radio "mysteriously" melting, to the brakes, to replacing the clutch twice, to tail gate latch breaking, to the muffler, to the radiator, and the list goes on and on and on. I'm finally trading it in tommorrow. YIPPIE! I should have done it earlier, but I just kept thinking that this problem will be the last, until all of a sudden more money than I'd like to mention has been poured into it. However, it should be noted that I likely got a lemon.

Reliable, no-frills truck
By RingusMaximus on 12/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

Good, reliable no-frills truck. My only complaint is the black paint has faded a bit and lost its shine. Other than that a good truck. I have actually used this as a truck, not a pimped-out ghetto cruizer. I've hauled heavy loads, towed a 1500+ pound wood-chipper with the bumper hitch, driven a ton of miles, and never any problems. Previously I had a new 1998 Dodge Dakota xtra cab 4x4, and that was the biggest lemon I've ever owned. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with any imported truck.

Nissan Frontier SE 4wd
By civallero on 10/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab SE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Very reliable truck to own. Offroad capabilities are fair. Recommend 31x10.50x15 offroad tires for better traction and appearance. Currently have driven 106k mi since new. Great truck! I'

my nissan
By Davidljohnson on 09/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my truck new and have loved it since day one. I get great gas mileage. Great ride. Great dependability. I can't say enough good about my truck. Will drive it till it dies.

98 frontier
By AllenP on 09/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab SE 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought the truck new in '98, Nissan had some promotion going so I got it for 10,800. Great price considering the service I've gotten. Had one major problem at about 80,000 miles, had a leak in the a/c system that cost about $600 to fix. Other than that only minor problems, head light and apparently a lot of people have the radio light go out like I did. Little sluggish on take off. All told, a great buy, my second Nissan and would not think twice before buying another one.