Used 1998 Nissan Frontier Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Frontier Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

A great little truck
By timv11

1998 Nissan Frontier Regular Cab XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

I've had this truck for just over 2 years now. Bought it with 76,000 miles on it. I think I should have bought the extended cab but I really like the truck otherwise. I have had 720 lbs. of hay in the back and it ran just fine. It is more than enough truck for going to the hardware store or the dump. I use it as my commuter, around 70 miles a day. I would highly recommend this type of truck to anyone.

Comfortable bench seat, room for everyday hauling, very utilitarian, reliable, repairs are relatively inexpensive

All little nit picky things. The gas mileage is a little disappointing. Only one cup holder doesn't help the passenger. Engine is a little gutless going up hills requiring downshifting. The glove box barely fits the owners manual.

soon to be tacoma owner
By taco2come

1998 Nissan Frontier Regular Cab XE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

where do i start...bought it from an older gentleman in 2002 with 33000 miles and no damage or sign of being abused. At 75000 seal went bad in timing chain cover leaked/burnt oil.=engine overhaul. At 100k replaced all bearings in man.trans & clutch. Trans case leaky,stays out of alignment,instrument panel lights go off while driving & overall its just poorly designed when it comes to dependability. Compare side by side with a tacoma & its obvious. Its serviced every 3k miles, only non pavement use is an occasional hay field or dirt road. Looking back I wish I would have spent the extra money and bought a far superior toyota tacoma!

drivetrain, fit and finish

Everything I needed!
By Tortuga

1998 Nissan Frontier Regular Cab XE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought my Frontier in 2004 when I was 18. Been driving it almost daily ever since. I've done trips of well over 400 miles as well as put it through some rigorous Off-Road and Mud trails. The truck has gone everywhere I've pointed it. Ran into a few trees and rocks while wheeling, body damage was fixed with a little hammer work. I was rear ended in it, with barely a dent to the rear bumper (the plastic step came loose.) The little toyota pickup that hit me, was destroyed. Power is perfectly fine, It's a pickup not a race car. I'm running 31 in. tires (compared to the stock size of about 17 in.) and it runs perfectly fine, with no life required. In all, great truck!

fender well size to fit larger tired. Plenty of power on and off road and good 4Lo power. good strong IFS suspension and drivetrain. Lack of repairs needed. If your Frontier needs excessive repairs, then you're an idiot driver who doesn't know how to take care of your average maintenance.

Pickup wise, they've only made it better throughout the years (except body designs, the original is the best.) My single cab isn't enough room for my needs anymore, so I've upgraded to an SUV. Other than that, everything is perfect!

Basic Dependable Truck
By jctiger

1998 Nissan Frontier Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

This was my first vehicle. I bought it with 104,000 miles and drove it for 5 years. After 150,000 it was still kicking with no problems until someone hit it parked at a football game. I would buy this truck again any day. The only problem that I ever had with it was when the alternator went out after 130,000 miles.

clean, looks good, drove well

cab was a little small, windshield wiper speeds, defrost

11 yrs
By afrey

1998 Nissan Frontier Regular Cab XE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

My first 4wd. I live in the SW and have gone many interesting and wild places. No engine or starting problems after 131000 . Two AC problems, cracked lines fixed by dealer under warranty. Radio lite out after 5 yrs. Acceleration is wimpy but sufficient. It is now using a little oil. 1qt/2000 miles. No 4wd, suspension or drive line problems.

Smaller size makes it very easy to maneuver on narrow mountain roads. Can shift from 2wd to 4wd on fly when needed.

Get rid of crappy plastic mud flaps. They break off on rough roads.