1998 Nissan Frontier Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:
A great little truck
By timv11 on 05/27/10 10:02 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier Regular Cab XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

I've had this truck for just over 2 years now. Bought it with 76,000 miles on it. I think I should have bought the extended cab but I really like the truck otherwise. I have had 720 lbs. of hay in the back and it ran just fine. It is more than enough truck for going to the hardware store or the dump. I use it as my commuter, around 70 miles a day. I would highly recommend this type of truck to anyone.

soon to be tacoma owner
By taco2come on 09/04/09 18:33 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier Regular Cab XE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

where do i start...bought it from an older gentleman in 2002 with 33000 miles and no damage or sign of being abused. At 75000 seal went bad in timing chain cover leaked/burnt oil.=engine overhaul. At 100k replaced all bearings in man.trans & clutch. Trans case leaky,stays out of alignment,instrument panel lights go off while driving & overall its just poorly designed when it comes to dependability. Compare side by side with a tacoma & its obvious. Its serviced every 3k miles, only non pavement use is an occasional hay field or dirt road. Looking back I wish I would have spent the extra money and bought a far superior toyota tacoma!

Everything I needed!
By Tortuga on 06/23/09 14:43 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier Regular Cab XE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought my Frontier in 2004 when I was 18. Been driving it almost daily ever since. I've done trips of well over 400 miles as well as put it through some rigorous Off-Road and Mud trails. The truck has gone everywhere I've pointed it. Ran into a few trees and rocks while wheeling, body damage was fixed with a little hammer work. I was rear ended in it, with barely a dent to the rear bumper (the plastic step came loose.) The little toyota pickup that hit me, was destroyed. Power is perfectly fine, It's a pickup not a race car. I'm running 31 in. tires (compared to the stock size of about 17 in.) and it runs perfectly fine, with no life required. In all, great truck!

Basic Dependable Truck
By jctiger on 10/17/08 13:34 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

This was my first vehicle. I bought it with 104,000 miles and drove it for 5 years. After 150,000 it was still kicking with no problems until someone hit it parked at a football game. I would buy this truck again any day. The only problem that I ever had with it was when the alternator went out after 130,000 miles.

11 yrs
By afrey on 08/29/08 14:52 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier Regular Cab XE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

My first 4wd. I live in the SW and have gone many interesting and wild places. No engine or starting problems after 131000 . Two AC problems, cracked lines fixed by dealer under warranty. Radio lite out after 5 yrs. Acceleration is wimpy but sufficient. It is now using a little oil. 1qt/2000 miles. No 4wd, suspension or drive line problems.

Greatness!
By white_nissan on 06/02/08 22:02 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier Regular Cab XE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought this for my first vehicle. At first I didn't know much about the Nissan name. I thought it was a cheap Toyota knockoff but I bought it because it looked good and was cheap. I have buried it up over the hood in mud, wrecked it, and constantly go off-road in it and it is still running strong. I gas it until the rev-limiter kicks in all the time. This truck is great! I have literally put this truck through things where my buddies have blown their trucks up and mine is still strong. It's not real fast but it handles terrific. It will also surprise you on the power/torque. This is an all around great truck I usually get about 20 mpg but could get more. With 140,000 miles on it, it's great

Just right
By Raul on 12/26/04 21:20 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Frontier Regular Cab XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my Nissan Frontier brand new in 1998 and it is still going. I am consistenly getting 20 miles per gallon in city driving. the truck has decent accelaration and gives power when needed. I live in Texas and the AC is still cold. I am never dissappointed. Six years of ownership and I have never experienced any stalling.

First one
By LaEmperor on 09/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier Regular Cab XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is my first Nissan truck (had a 300zx and a 510 before).I took a chance a bought a repo and I love it.The truck is perfect for what I need it to do which is light to medium hauling and tooling around. I am very satisfied with this truck

Great little truck
By John Gaz on 08/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier Regular Cab XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought this truck new,no major mechanical problems with truck at all! Only problem I have had is the speedometer has started to intermitanly stick at 40 miles per hour. This is the second nissian truck I have had and will continue to buy thier trucks. Reliablity is great for this size truck! One odd thing is the truck owners manual barely fits into the unusally small glove compartment?

Would I Buy It Again?
By 49er on 04/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier Regular Cab XE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

My 1998 Frontier has been a very reliable truck considering that the nearest Nissan dealer is 87 miles away and that I have never had to tow it in! The Nissan pastic decal on the tailgate has refused to stay on after two trys at dealership gluing. I finally had them take it off and buff the paint under it (at my expense!). The radio light is starting to go on and off. I have yet to take it off- road, but it's nice to know the four- wheel is there, especially in Montana! Make sure that you have a person in the know wire yours for a trailer! I feel that I got my money's worth. Not real great gas mileage - but better than a V-8.