1998 Nissan Frontier XE Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

1998 Frontier Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Sort Reviews by

A Solid, Reliable Workhorse
By Buster

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck new. It now has 112,00 miles on it. The clutch, rear brakes, exhaust system and radiator hoses are all original, and based on the local dealer service department, are not in need of replacement. I have the 4cyl engine with 5 speed manual and get a consistent 25mpg; best mileage was 28mpg. This truck has never let me down, and with regular recommended service intervals, will probably outlast me!

Favorite Features

Good gearing, solid build quality and finish, fun to drive, excellent brakes and handling.

Suggested Improvements

More power for the 4cyl engine. Should have a full size spare. Softer interior, full gauges

Nissan "Little WorkHorse"
By Henry

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this vehicle in 1998, have had it since. Best vehicle I have ever owned I can count the repairs with one hand. Repaired the ignition key once under warranty, air bag light has been on since 2007 still not repaired, replaced clutch 4/2008 only because I had the money to do it before it went out on me, found out later I still had a few more miles on it. 2009 replaced starter, A/C making humming noise but still works. One more thing replaced headliner. Best truck ever owned, I also own a Maxima. The Frontier beats the Maxima by a long shot on repairs.

Favorite Features

Excellent interior, comfortable ride, nice exterior aero dynamic, stylish look, great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Engine could use a little more power, A/C unit could be a lot cooler, stereo could use updating.

Half the cost of aTacoma
By bamagreg

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I moved to the country two years ago and had to have a small truck to drive on the 3 mile gravel road I live on and this is what I bought. I bought it at 100k mile and now it has 140k with no problems. I get 28 mpg going back and forth to work. What a great truck. I'm glad I saved money when I looked at the Toyota Tacoma.

Favorite Features

4 cylinder engine has power and great fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Head liner coming off.

Good quality, reliable truck
By WC DVD

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought the truck with 186,000 miles on it. The former owner's dad worked at the Nissan Training Center so it was well maintained. Former owner disclosed the transmission was replaced under warranty. I've put 40,000 miles on the truck in 3 years and other than a battery that died with no warning, no major problems. The extra DC power plug has never worked for me. The tailgate latch works but is a bit stiff. The tailgate strip with the Frontier name is beginning to peel off. Interior is a little bland but build quality is good. A lady in a Jaguar hit me in the front right and it all did was scuff the bumper. A tough little truck and I look forward to seeing how far it goes.

Favorite Features

Easy to get in out, seats lay back in extended cab. Plenty of room to put stuff behind the seats.

Suggested Improvements

The gas mileage leaves a bit to be desired since I drive 80-90% on the freeway and average about 21 mpg. The 4-cyl engine is a bit underpowered around town unless you leave it out of overdrive.

Great, except for the headlights
By Floyd

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my Nissan Frontier brand new, on the advice of a Toyota dealer friend of mine. He said, "Toyota trucks are great, but so are the Nissans, and they're cheaper." After 8 years and 124,000 miles with my Frontier, I couldn't agree with him more. My truck has been great: no major repairs, no recalls, no production defects. Just change the oil every 6,000 miles and enjoy trouble-free performance. Very comfortable driving position. The 4 cyl. motor is a little underpowered, but the gas mileage is great (21.5 to 28.5 mpg). My only complaint is that the headlights burn out every 18 to 24 months, but you can easily replace the bulbs yourself at a cost of about $13.

BAD BAD BAD
By me_shell

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my frontier used in 1999. I am currently at 104000 miles. It has been one problem after the next with this truck. From all the wires behind the radio "mysteriously" melting, to the brakes, to replacing the clutch twice, to tail gate latch breaking, to the muffler, to the radiator, and the list goes on and on and on. I'm finally trading it in tommorrow. YIPPIE! I should have done it earlier, but I just kept thinking that this problem will be the last, until all of a sudden more money than I'd like to mention has been poured into it. However, it should be noted that I likely got a lemon.

Favorite Features

Besides the major mechanical problems, when it actually runs, it runs well and is fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

A 300 character limit to this suggested improvement section is not enough!

Reliable, no-frills truck
By RingusMaximus

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

Good, reliable no-frills truck. My only complaint is the black paint has faded a bit and lost its shine. Other than that a good truck. I have actually used this as a truck, not a pimped-out ghetto cruizer. I've hauled heavy loads, towed a 1500+ pound wood-chipper with the bumper hitch, driven a ton of miles, and never any problems. Previously I had a new 1998 Dodge Dakota xtra cab 4x4, and that was the biggest lemon I've ever owned. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with any imported truck.

Favorite Features

Very reliable no frills truck.

Suggested Improvements

4-doors and a usable back seat.

my nissan
By Davidljohnson

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my truck new and have loved it since day one. I get great gas mileage. Great ride. Great dependability. I can't say enough good about my truck. Will drive it till it dies.

Favorite Features

Just paid it off!!! Ease of handling around town, gas mileage, easy to work on for maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Third door but newer models have that now.

Cheap to Keep
By Steve McGill

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my Nissan Frontier new in 1998. It now has 136,000 miles and has been very reliable. The fuel gauge became erratic and was replaced under warranty. The plastic tailgate handle broke and was replaced for $35.00. Water pump replaced at 68,000. Gas mileage averages 25 mpg. (mainly highway miles) The engine is adequate for light hauling. Dealer service has been excellent. Great truck!

Favorite Features

Reliable! Comfortable seats. Good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

More power with base engine, easier access to oil filter. Coat hooks!

98 Frontier
By Dahliekatt

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

Wonderful vehicle, always ready and full of power!!