1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:
300,000 Miles and Counting
By jlundin on 04/05/13 12:26 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab SE 2dr Extended Cab SB

This has been a daily commuter for many, many years and there has never been any major issues. I have replaced the clutch 2x and done the normal maintenance over the years. Never once has it failed me. It gets great gas mileage for a truck. Just recently I passed the 300,000 miles mark and it still made a 2,000 mile trip to Arizona and back. The only complaint I have is that it is a gutless 4 cylinder. I have to put the pedal to the floor when turning onto a street and it still takes it time to accelerate.

Was dissapoiinted
By nextride on 01/06/12 00:06 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck in 2010 in the 4WD exteded cab thinking it would be reliable and i wanted decent gas milage for a truck. It had 140,000 miles on it and the gas milage was not as good as i hped it would be average about 19 mpg. I will say that the 4WD works very good in the snow. For a while it was fine then slowly small things started to fail on it. These were not the end of the world but they were annoying. Finally the transmission went out on me on a road trip at 155,000 miles. I do not know if it was due to a fluid leak or if it just happened. But the repair will be very expensive since they only made it for two years and it comes as a unit with the transfer case.

Mountain Buggy
By Bill Gibbs on 07/15/10 19:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought and sent this pickup to Honduras where I regularly put over 2000 lbs. of chicken manure in it. I once had 18 workers in the back and went up a mountain in 4low. This truck is a beast and can handle as much payload as my F150. Mileage is fair, power is adequate and the truck is unstoppable on the worst mountain roads imaginable. Don't complain about power, learn how to drive a standard transmission. Quality is as good as Tacoma for much less $$$.

The Devil is in the Details
By angelbane on 10/22/09 09:29 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

First 40K in first 2 years. Has always gotten 12-14 Highway MPG. Not a fast machine. First problems at 98000 ... electrical system Alternator, distributor, entire ignition system, Exhaust Manifold cracked. Passenger compartment seals started shrinking and having issues after 2 years and are now all but gone but no biggie it is a truck after it is gonna be noisy. roof liner completely fell out ofter 6 years. It prefers dry weather. Nothing has stopped me on or off road ... when I have seen other vehicles stuck

A Solid, Reliable Workhorse
By Buster on 09/06/09 23:14 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck new. It now has 112,00 miles on it. The clutch, rear brakes, exhaust system and radiator hoses are all original, and based on the local dealer service department, are not in need of replacement. I have the 4cyl engine with 5 speed manual and get a consistent 25mpg; best mileage was 28mpg. This truck has never let me down, and with regular recommended service intervals, will probably outlast me!

Nissan "Little WorkHorse"
By Henry on 02/14/09 21:48 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this vehicle in 1998, have had it since. Best vehicle I have ever owned I can count the repairs with one hand. Repaired the ignition key once under warranty, air bag light has been on since 2007 still not repaired, replaced clutch 4/2008 only because I had the money to do it before it went out on me, found out later I still had a few more miles on it. 2009 replaced starter, A/C making humming noise but still works. One more thing replaced headliner. Best truck ever owned, I also own a Maxima. The Frontier beats the Maxima by a long shot on repairs.

Half the cost of aTacoma
By bamagreg on 12/28/08 05:31 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I moved to the country two years ago and had to have a small truck to drive on the 3 mile gravel road I live on and this is what I bought. I bought it at 100k mile and now it has 140k with no problems. I get 28 mpg going back and forth to work. What a great truck. I'm glad I saved money when I looked at the Toyota Tacoma.

Good quality, reliable truck
By WC DVD on 11/21/08 03:32 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought the truck with 186,000 miles on it. The former owner's dad worked at the Nissan Training Center so it was well maintained. Former owner disclosed the transmission was replaced under warranty. I've put 40,000 miles on the truck in 3 years and other than a battery that died with no warning, no major problems. The extra DC power plug has never worked for me. The tailgate latch works but is a bit stiff. The tailgate strip with the Frontier name is beginning to peel off. Interior is a little bland but build quality is good. A lady in a Jaguar hit me in the front right and it all did was scuff the bumper. A tough little truck and I look forward to seeing how far it goes.

Exellent Truck!!
By Cartier on 11/12/08 09:32 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck with 40k miles. 145k now. The only problem so far was the muffler. I replace it and the truck keeps performing like new. I am a snowboard instructor. In winter I take this truck to the mountains and is just the perfect truck for it. I replaced the stereo for a nice eclipse deck new speakers and a sub. This truck is comfortable. I haul a 20ft boat and it does not have any problem. Plenty of torque!!

142000 miles what to look for
By wfcoalrun on 03/10/08 15:15 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier Extended Cab XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck new. No problems until about 130000 mi. Tachometer works when it wants now. Timing chain guides wore out @130K, bent all the intake valves, fixed myself. Still a daily driver to work, has 144K on it now. Cannot get it to quit coding P1706 (park nuetral position switch on 5-speed manual). Dealer says to replace wiring harness, might solve problem. Truck has been good, so I bought a 2007 and drive '98 to work daily.