1998 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:
300,000 Miles and Counting
By jlundin on 04/05/13 12:26 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier SE 2dr Extended Cab SB

This has been a daily commuter for many, many years and there has never been any major issues. I have replaced the clutch 2x and done the normal maintenance over the years. Never once has it failed me. It gets great gas mileage for a truck. Just recently I passed the 300,000 miles mark and it still made a 2,000 mile trip to Arizona and back. The only complaint I have is that it is a gutless 4 cylinder. I have to put the pedal to the floor when turning onto a street and it still takes it time to accelerate.

Was dissapoiinted
By nextride on 01/06/12 00:06 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Frontier XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck in 2010 in the 4WD exteded cab thinking it would be reliable and i wanted decent gas milage for a truck. It had 140,000 miles on it and the gas milage was not as good as i hped it would be average about 19 mpg. I will say that the 4WD works very good in the snow. For a while it was fine then slowly small things started to fail on it. These were not the end of the world but they were annoying. Finally the transmission went out on me on a road trip at 155,000 miles. I do not know if it was due to a fluid leak or if it just happened. But the repair will be very expensive since they only made it for two years and it comes as a unit with the transfer case.

Mountain Buggy
By Bill Gibbs on 07/15/10 19:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought and sent this pickup to Honduras where I regularly put over 2000 lbs. of chicken manure in it. I once had 18 workers in the back and went up a mountain in 4low. This truck is a beast and can handle as much payload as my F150. Mileage is fair, power is adequate and the truck is unstoppable on the worst mountain roads imaginable. Don't complain about power, learn how to drive a standard transmission. Quality is as good as Tacoma for much less $$$.

A great little truck
By timv11 on 05/27/10 10:02 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

I've had this truck for just over 2 years now. Bought it with 76,000 miles on it. I think I should have bought the extended cab but I really like the truck otherwise. I have had 720 lbs. of hay in the back and it ran just fine. It is more than enough truck for going to the hardware store or the dump. I use it as my commuter, around 70 miles a day. I would highly recommend this type of truck to anyone.

The Devil is in the Details
By angelbane on 10/22/09 09:29 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

First 40K in first 2 years. Has always gotten 12-14 Highway MPG. Not a fast machine. First problems at 98000 ... electrical system Alternator, distributor, entire ignition system, Exhaust Manifold cracked. Passenger compartment seals started shrinking and having issues after 2 years and are now all but gone but no biggie it is a truck after it is gonna be noisy. roof liner completely fell out ofter 6 years. It prefers dry weather. Nothing has stopped me on or off road ... when I have seen other vehicles stuck

A Solid, Reliable Workhorse
By Buster on 09/06/09 23:14 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck new. It now has 112,00 miles on it. The clutch, rear brakes, exhaust system and radiator hoses are all original, and based on the local dealer service department, are not in need of replacement. I have the 4cyl engine with 5 speed manual and get a consistent 25mpg; best mileage was 28mpg. This truck has never let me down, and with regular recommended service intervals, will probably outlast me!

soon to be tacoma owner
By taco2come on 09/04/09 18:33 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier XE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

where do i start...bought it from an older gentleman in 2002 with 33000 miles and no damage or sign of being abused. At 75000 seal went bad in timing chain cover leaked/burnt oil.=engine overhaul. At 100k replaced all bearings in man.trans & clutch. Trans case leaky,stays out of alignment,instrument panel lights go off while driving & overall its just poorly designed when it comes to dependability. Compare side by side with a tacoma & its obvious. Its serviced every 3k miles, only non pavement use is an occasional hay field or dirt road. Looking back I wish I would have spent the extra money and bought a far superior toyota tacoma!

Everything I needed!
By Tortuga on 06/23/09 14:43 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Frontier XE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought my Frontier in 2004 when I was 18. Been driving it almost daily ever since. I've done trips of well over 400 miles as well as put it through some rigorous Off-Road and Mud trails. The truck has gone everywhere I've pointed it. Ran into a few trees and rocks while wheeling, body damage was fixed with a little hammer work. I was rear ended in it, with barely a dent to the rear bumper (the plastic step came loose.) The little toyota pickup that hit me, was destroyed. Power is perfectly fine, It's a pickup not a race car. I'm running 31 in. tires (compared to the stock size of about 17 in.) and it runs perfectly fine, with no life required. In all, great truck!

Nissan "Little WorkHorse"
By Henry on 02/14/09 21:48 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Frontier XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this vehicle in 1998, have had it since. Best vehicle I have ever owned I can count the repairs with one hand. Repaired the ignition key once under warranty, air bag light has been on since 2007 still not repaired, replaced clutch 4/2008 only because I had the money to do it before it went out on me, found out later I still had a few more miles on it. 2009 replaced starter, A/C making humming noise but still works. One more thing replaced headliner. Best truck ever owned, I also own a Maxima. The Frontier beats the Maxima by a long shot on repairs.

Half the cost of aTacoma
By bamagreg on 12/28/08 05:31 AM (PST)

1998 Nissan Frontier XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I moved to the country two years ago and had to have a small truck to drive on the 3 mile gravel road I live on and this is what I bought. I bought it at 100k mile and now it has 140k with no problems. I get 28 mpg going back and forth to work. What a great truck. I'm glad I saved money when I looked at the Toyota Tacoma.

1 2 3 4 5 next »