Used 1998 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

1998 Nissan Frontier

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Why no interment wipers?
By bob

1998 Nissan Frontier XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck from a Nissan Service Tech. with 35,000 miles on it. Little did I know that he had put some Firestone recalled tires on it and I had a blowout at 60,00 miles. Tread was at 60%. Then clutch started acting up. I did the job myself after Nissan quoted $2200. When I dropped the tranny about 2 quarts of water poured out. Some genius on the assembly line completely sealed the bell housing. All the clutch components were rusted. Don't buy from Nissan, buy from Phoenix Friction. Replaced the flywheel, rear main seal, clutch etc. If you have a Nissan manual tranny crawl under with a 1/4 drill bit and poke a hole in the 6:00 position in the bell housing. It should be clear. Other than that, the truck is by far the best 4 wheel drive vehicle I have driven. I go where others fear to go. Great hunting and off road vehicle.

Yes, the 4 cyl is underpowered but I am not in a hurry going up hills. The engineer at Nissan who positioned the PCV valve (requires taking off most of the front engine components to change it) should be horsewhipped.

Seems all the headliners during those years failed. I re-upholstered mine for about $50.00 plus added some middle supports which cured the sagging. I reduced the road noise by adding sound deadner in the doors and behind the headlines. 50% reduction in road noise.

300,000 Miles and Counting
By jlundin

1998 Nissan Frontier SE 2dr Extended Cab SB

This has been a daily commuter for many, many years and there has never been any major issues. I have replaced the clutch 2x and done the normal maintenance over the years. Never once has it failed me. It gets great gas mileage for a truck. Just recently I passed the 300,000 miles mark and it still made a 2,000 mile trip to Arizona and back. The only complaint I have is that it is a gutless 4 cylinder. I have to put the pedal to the floor when turning onto a street and it still takes it time to accelerate.

Compact truck with amazing gas mileage, comfortable for two people to drive in, easy to work on, lasts forever!

Was dissapoiinted
By nextride

1998 Nissan Frontier XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck in 2010 in the 4WD exteded cab thinking it would be reliable and i wanted decent gas milage for a truck. It had 140,000 miles on it and the gas milage was not as good as i hped it would be average about 19 mpg. I will say that the 4WD works very good in the snow. For a while it was fine then slowly small things started to fail on it. These were not the end of the world but they were annoying. Finally the transmission went out on me on a road trip at 155,000 miles. I do not know if it was due to a fluid leak or if it just happened. But the repair will be very expensive since they only made it for two years and it comes as a unit with the transfer case.

I never had any engine problems, it always started right up.

The power window switch became so hard to roll up that most people thought they broke it. Next the tail gate handle broke so i has to pinch it from the inside to get it to open. The spedometer started to jump around when the truck was cold but it would eventually work. And soon after i got it the handle to pull the passenger seat forward became very tricky to use.

Mountain Buggy
By Bill Gibbs

1998 Nissan Frontier XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought and sent this pickup to Honduras where I regularly put over 2000 lbs. of chicken manure in it. I once had 18 workers in the back and went up a mountain in 4low. This truck is a beast and can handle as much payload as my F150. Mileage is fair, power is adequate and the truck is unstoppable on the worst mountain roads imaginable. Don't complain about power, learn how to drive a standard transmission. Quality is as good as Tacoma for much less $$$.

Ice cold air, excellent 4low, excellent payload, good clearance.

Not much to improve on this fine machine.

A great little truck
By timv11

1998 Nissan Frontier XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

I've had this truck for just over 2 years now. Bought it with 76,000 miles on it. I think I should have bought the extended cab but I really like the truck otherwise. I have had 720 lbs. of hay in the back and it ran just fine. It is more than enough truck for going to the hardware store or the dump. I use it as my commuter, around 70 miles a day. I would highly recommend this type of truck to anyone.

Comfortable bench seat, room for everyday hauling, very utilitarian, reliable, repairs are relatively inexpensive

All little nit picky things. The gas mileage is a little disappointing. Only one cup holder doesn't help the passenger. Engine is a little gutless going up hills requiring downshifting. The glove box barely fits the owners manual.