2009 Nissan Cube Consumer Review: Almost perfect commuter car

2009 Nissan Cube - Consumer Review

Almost perfect commuter car
By Oregon Commuter on

2009 Nissan Cube 1.8 S 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I wanted something better for my mixed commute of ~55 miles RT everyday. I wanted to spend $15K. I looked at what I could get in the used market - 3-4 year old Civic/Camry/Corolla/Accord, out of warranty, generic, and boring! (So THAT'S where all the Oldsmobile drivers went!) Tried the Versa, but it felt small and wobbly. Dealer urged me to try the Cube. Wife described it as "The ugliest car I've ever seen." Drove it, went home and researched it, then bought it. Been driving it for almost 3 months now (5500 mi). Huge interior, surprisingly good handling & acceleration (no sports car). Looking for performance? Wrong choice. Looking for great point A to point B transport? You found it!

Favorite Features

CVT - with traction control I could get around in wet snow when others (incl 4WD) were stuck on hills. 29+ combined at the pump. Ext design - goofy enough to still make me smile. Huge seats and headroom, MP3 jack, std AC/PW/PDL/PM/CC, 6-way adj driver seat, trip computer, etc. Great value!

Suggested Improvements

Visors are the worst, literally unusable for me - too low in the front and too short for the side. Roof rails & passenger arm rest would be nice. All kinds of things I could throw out here (wet bar anyone?), but I am VERY happy with the features & performance I got for the price I paid.