2009 Nissan Cube Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cube model:
Transmission problem
By jloth on 10/08/11 08:28 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Cube Wagon 1.8 SL 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my 2009 Cube in July of 2009. I now have 10,500 miles on it. Recently, on a trip to view the Fall colors, I noticed a surging feeling when going over 50 mph. It was like every 10 seconds, the RPM's would rev between the 2 and 3 on the dial. Called the dealer and took it in for service. Diagnosis, a solenoid was not working properly. I have to have a brand new transmission put in the car. Yes it is under warranty, but still, this concerns me. So to everyone considering the Cube, do your research. It is a fun car to drive, you won't see yourself coming and going,it is good on gas, a piece of cake to park.. but this transmission issue had taken the glimmer off of it for me.

Love me some cube!
By mommymezzo on 08/15/10 18:13 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Cube Wagon 1.8 SL 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

We are so happy with our Cube--never expected this would be the car for our family (2 adults, one pre-preschooler.) But, it is the perfect fit. While all of our neighbors are toddling around in mini vans or gas-guzzling SUVs, we feel like we've got the secret car that no one ever thought to buy. Super fun styling, very roomy inside (the tall ceilings make it feel bigger than our small SUV did inside), and crazy-good gas mileage. We've owned the car for about 6 months now with no major complaints. There have been 2 voluntary recalls, but no problem at all and pretty typical of first-year model cars. There are a few quirks we'd change inter-wise, but no more than any other car we've had.

Fun head turning car!
By flyboiadam on 07/22/10 17:24 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Cube Wagon 1.8 SL 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my cube in oct 2009 and I have 8800 miles on it and it's July 22. So far I've had 1 recall w the rear door handles, at 2k miles my check engine light came on turned out to need a new purge valve, thats the only thing thats happened. I'm very happy with my cube and wouldn't trade it for another car ever! Lots of ppl look and stare but love the attention! Drove a few times 500 miles on road trip been getting 32 on hwy and 26 city. The seats are probably the most comfortable I have ever sat in, in any car! Only thing I am mad about is the 2010 model of the same thing I got comes standard with bluetooth and audio controls on steering wheel. But thats it! Go test drive 1!

Transmission sudden death!
By spirittwo on 07/03/10 12:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Cube Wagon 1.8 SL 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I bought a brand new 2009 cube, sl, 1.8 cvt, auto, with the intention of having a little fun and no maintenance headaches. At 15,000 miles, the transmission gives out! Coming out of a MiniCooper. Boy, do I miss the no hassles maintenance and service from Mini! The Cube is easy to drive, handles well, very roomy and comfortable, but I would not recommend it for its high-maintenance needs and this very major problem. Just unlucky? I don't know. Tried to search the web for others with similar problem, but found little info. Hmm.

Fantastic, Glad I Got It!
By Rusty on 04/17/10 06:52 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Cube Wagon 1.8 SL 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

The car is quiet and really fun to drive. I have had it over a month and I am averaging 33.6 mpg. I drive approx 84 miles per day to and from work. I use it as a commuter car and it is perfect. Driving in Atlanta traffic is terrible and this little car makes it fun. Excellent stereo,(I got the rocksford system), very comfortable, and quiet. Plenty of pep for what I need, I average 80 mph daily when traffic is moving. I strongly suggest you try one. If you are looking for a good gas mileage, comfortable, safe car, get a Cube. P.S. – your friends will make fun of you, however, you can laugh at them when gas hits $3.00 dollars + per gallon. O yeah, it only has an 11 gallon gas tank.

I love it!
By tatoo60 on 04/07/10 08:45 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Cube Wagon 1.8 SL 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

We just purchased the Cube in March 2010. We love the handling, the comfort, and leg room for my husband who is 6ft. The mileage at 29.1 mpg is soooo.. much better than our Town and Country at 19 mpg. We get many stares but don't care!!! My husband was a little skeptic about the "look" but he laughs every time we're on the highway and people point at the Cube. It has enough pickup when we're trying to merge onto the highway as well. And it's great to maneuver when changing lanes.

Solid Choice
By EZCruiser on 03/28/10 12:42 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Cube Wagon 1.8 SL 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

This vehicle is huge on the inside and is so easy to park that it almost does it on its own. It offers a great view of the road and a comfortable seating position. Short hops are easy and long trips a pleasure with lots of room for luggage and pets. The upgraded sound system makes all types of music sound great and will rock whenever you want to. Wind noise is fair (for a box) and the car feels stable at highway speeds. The CVT is great for smooth sailing and the brakes are smooth and capable. I came out of a Smart car (BIG mistake) and love this cube--more power on regular gas and almost the same mileage. . . but this Cube offers so much more FUN!

Good Car with some issues
By Livin in my Cube on 03/07/10 18:06 PM (PST)

2009 Nissan Cube Wagon 1.8 SL 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

So far the Cube has lived up to expectations (which were not all that high to begin with considering the price). The road noise gets a little annoying on the freeway. The heater fan went out within the first 6 months. But biggest negative was having to replace the brakes after only 16,000 highway miles. Didn't see that coming. The service tech said that lighter cars come with ligher brakes, so it can be an issue, so beware! Cool car though, and lots of people staring wondering what it is!

Fun to Drive
By ann50 on 12/22/09 22:48 PM (PST)

2009 Nissan Cube Wagon 1.8 SL 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Have owned for about a month, so far, I love this vehicle. Decided to downsize from CRV for better gas mileage. I am so far averaging about 26mpg. I do have a lead foot, so this may affect the numbers. Love the sound system, keyless starter. Very roomy. Some wind noise at higher speeds on hwy. This car is so much fun to drive that the small negatives are outweighed.

Cubing
By Greta427 on 11/16/09 08:27 AM (PST)

2009 Nissan Cube Wagon 1.8 SL 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I recently purchased the new Nissan Cube for my 1.5 hour each way commuter vehicle. The Cube replaced my much loved VW New Beetle. I had researched quite a few smaller commuter cars and this is the only one I found that had any SPUNK! Spending 3 hours a day in my car it has to be something that I like to drive. I looked at so many other small car entry's and the all lacked personality, they were all very boring. My first reaction to this was, eew...what is that? But then, it grew on me. I decided it deserved a test drive. I got so many looks on the test drive and the car held its own on the highway passing easily and nimble handling. Auto tranny kept up fine. Love this car!!! SL Pref pack A+.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Nissan Cube Wagon in VA is:

$116 per month*