Used 1990 Nissan Axxess XE Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Nissan Axxess - Consumer Reviews

1990 Nissan Axxess Minivan

View reviews for a specific Axxess model:

Where has this car been all my life!?
By Terry

1990 Nissan Axxess Minivan XE 3dr Minivan

I bought this little car mostly as a favor for a surrogate brother headed for New Zealand. He had owned it for 14 years. I didn't really want this funky looking little Baby SUV. This little beauty was like new in and out and had 83,000 miles on it. I have driven it around Anchorage, Alaska and for short 100 mile trips out of town. I am aghast that I'm becoming very fond of this thing! My buddy Gary, the previous owner, had a near complete overhaul performed due to a timing chain problem. As he was at it he replaced the shocks and brakes and exhaust system. $1700 all told. I get a regular 24 MPG around town and have managed 31 on cruise at 65 MPH. This is a great car!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive! It's like a little sports car. Mine has a five speed manual. Quick steering and a very short turn radius. It accelerates all out of proportion to it's tiny four cylinder engine.It has really excellent vision all around. Except for the Mini Cooper I know of nothing that approaches it.

Suggested Improvements

My Axxess is 20 years old! I would guess it's too late for any suggested improvements but for starters I am shocked to find NO, NONE, cup holders! Slightly tinted windows would be nice but here in Alaska not necessary. This stupid little car is almost perfect in every way!

Great Car!
By Hjh1213

1990 Nissan Axxess Minivan XE 3dr Minivan

I've owned this car new off the lot, and it has been nothing but reliable and wonderful. I did not have to start making repairs until it was 11 years old. I would highly recommend it for a family car...we have been EVERYWHERE in this car.

Favorite Features

The versatility of the seat configuration.

Starting to fail
By dinow

1990 Nissan Axxess Minivan XE 3dr Minivan

I have had this car for a long time. Over the last several years many items have started to fail. Alternator, timing chain guides, auto seat belts, rack and pinnion, which caused other front end problems, drive shafts, fuel injectors leaking, A/C head unit and low limit switch, and the list goes on.

Favorite Features

I do love this car I just wish it was not having so many problems. Also with the two sliding side doors way ahead of Chrysler and roll down rear windows way ahead of MPV. May items on this car were ahead of the time. Just to expensive to import.

Axxess 12yrs old and running strong
By rayfer

1990 Nissan Axxess Minivan XE 3dr Minivan

I bought my Axess 4 years ago, and it's still running strong at 112,000 miles. Just replaced the original struts. Comfortable seats, great on long trips. Excellent visiablity all around.

Favorite Features

Sliding side doors, roll down rear windows.

Suggested Improvements

They should have imported them longer.

Axxess is OK
By BAD

1990 Nissan Axxess Minivan XE 3dr Minivan

This "microvan" is labeled "station wagon" by Nissan and is just right for two empty-nesters. Easy to get in and out of, good visibility from the drivers seat, nice handling and adequate power make for a good utility vehicle with just enough room in the back for two week's worth of household trash for the dump. What more can you ask for for under $4,000?

Favorite Features

Sunroof, leather-faced front seats (after-market), reliability, decent handling for a "van" roll-down rear windows (10 years ahead of MPV).

Suggested Improvements

Radio reception weak; minor squeaks and rattles but OK for 125,000 miles.