Used 1990 Nissan Axxess Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Nissan Axxess - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Axxess model:

Where has this car been all my life!?
By Terry

1990 Nissan Axxess Minivan XE 3dr Minivan

I bought this little car mostly as a favor for a surrogate brother headed for New Zealand. He had owned it for 14 years. I didn't really want this funky looking little Baby SUV. This little beauty was like new in and out and had 83,000 miles on it. I have driven it around Anchorage, Alaska and for short 100 mile trips out of town. I am aghast that I'm becoming very fond of this thing! My buddy Gary, the previous owner, had a near complete overhaul performed due to a timing chain problem. As he was at it he replaced the shocks and brakes and exhaust system. $1700 all told. I get a regular 24 MPG around town and have managed 31 on cruise at 65 MPH. This is a great car!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive! It's like a little sports car. Mine has a five speed manual. Quick steering and a very short turn radius. It accelerates all out of proportion to it's tiny four cylinder engine.It has really excellent vision all around. Except for the Mini Cooper I know of nothing that approaches it.

Suggested Improvements

My Axxess is 20 years old! I would guess it's too late for any suggested improvements but for starters I am shocked to find NO, NONE, cup holders! Slightly tinted windows would be nice but here in Alaska not necessary. This stupid little car is almost perfect in every way!

Best Car Ever !!!!!
By ikiboy

1990 Nissan Axxess Minivan XE 3dr Minivan 4WD

My Nissan Axxess is wonderful. It gets great gas mileage (25 to 34 mpg) has great features, great build quality and overall is fast and fun to drive. My Nissan has been through over 12 car wrecks including rolling over and head on collisions being hit by a semi and it is still running great. It has a great engine and is just wonderful. I"ve had the car for a good 16 years and it has only broken down a few times. Overall Nissan made one heck of a great car and made no mistakes. If you want a reliable safe good car get a Nissan Axxess.

Favorite Features

My Favorite features on the Axxess are it sliding doors, sound system, controls, styling, and its stadium seating. The Axxess was one of the first cars to ever have a sliding door which lets you have easier access into the vehicle. The axxess also was one of the first cars with stadium seating.

Suggested Improvements

I think that the Axxess' dash display could have been a little more attractive. The Axxess could have got a better sound system and more features such as a larger engine for better acceleration. Other than those few suggestions I think the Axxess is perfect.

good mini mini-van
By Ringer

1990 Nissan Axxess Minivan SE 3dr Minivan 4WD

I was looking for an AWD wagon with decent fuel economy. This was easy to load groceries, people or dogs. I averaged 25 mpg in town with automatic, after a leak in fuel injectors was fixed. Parts were hard to find, because it was sold in U.S. only 4 years. But it was sold longer in Canada under name: Prairie. There is a yahoo web group for Axxess owners: helps with mechanical questions and finding parts. My vehicle had an electric short somewhere when I bought it. Ceiling light never worked, front power windows worked when they wanted, radio quit. Three alternators in the last 10 months. Mechanic told me to sell it after last alternator was draining battery, on the day it was installed

Favorite Features

High seat, good view of road for driver, easy to park, good fuel economy for mini-van, nice qaulity in interior, nothing cheap about appearance, Nissan quality.

Suggested Improvements

Electric problems. Power window-passenger side, worked only when it wanted to. Had to sell due to electric problems. Hard to locate parts, unless you check Canada.

great purchase
By aash

1990 Nissan Axxess Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Have had this car since new, and it has been the best car purchase I've made. The design of this van has held up well, I never think I'm driving a 15 year old car! Very practical and useful in size and very relialble.

Favorite Features

sliding side doors

Nearing 300K and hate to switch
By LongCommuter

1990 Nissan Axxess Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Clean and rustless. A timing tensioner, loose fuelpump connector the only problems. Replaced water pump after mechanic's error.

Favorite Features

Graphite gray and tinted windows gives a stealth look! Driving position very good for long trips. Trick seat positions convenient

Suggested Improvements

Probably the last vehicle ever produced without cupholders! Sunroof, fancy finish priced it out of the market, or they would have continued the full 5 yrs in the US.