2009 Nissan Armada SE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Armada - Consumer Reviews

2009 Armada Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Armada model:

Sort Reviews by

2009 Nissan Armada LE , 4WD, 5.6L (V8)
By kimber63

2009 Nissan Armada SUV LE 4dr SUV 4WD (5.6L 8cyl 5A)

Folks, I have owned my Nissan for over 5 years. It is by far the biggest piece of Nissan crap I have owned. I have had 4 other Nissan's before this one. The air conditioning lines have been replaced twice. Side airbag issue, rear passenger door would not open, rear gate would not open. Two sets of front warped rotors have been replaced over a whopping 42K miles. Power Steering line leaking. All covered under warranty with exception to the brakes. And please put some darn tires on the vehicle. The OEM stuff was junk. Every time the repair work done it took 5 business days due to lack of parts. The truck sits at Nissan dealer more than my house. Thank god I bought the warranty.

Favorite Features

Drives nice

Suggested Improvements

Dump NAV system, too complex. Also, work on reliability of the sub-components MSRP was ~ $67K on the vehicle. Oh forgot to mention the gas tank had to be dropped to repair a faulty liquid level sending unit, another week at the garage.

Armada
By k9mark

2009 Nissan Armada SUV LE 4dr SUV 4WD (5.6L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned two Armada's which I loved until the problems arrived. On both Armada's the metal lines for air conditioning for the rear area rusted through. Because it was caused by rust it was not covered by Nissan. Also on both Armada's the rear hatch window leaked. It took three weeks to figure out where it was leaking. The plastic molding for the interior was easy to scratch. On my 2009 with 40,000 miles the power steering hose split. The driver seat had a lot of flex while driving. The front disc brake rotor's warped at 30,000 miles.

Favorite Features

The power of the engine is great. The view while driving is excellent. Third row seats had enough leg room for an adult to ride very comfortable. Heated seats and steering wheel for the winter.

Great Value
By wcoates

2009 Nissan Armada SUV SE FFV 4dr SUV 4WD (5.6L 8cyl 5A)

I was originally looking at a Sequoia but couldn't resist looking at the Armada because of the price. I've put 10K miles on this truck so far and am quite impressed with it. The only issue I've had so far is with steering wheel audio controls not working all the time. Gas mileage could be a little better, as compared to other SUVs in its class, but not a deal breaker for me. Leg room is pretty impressive. Overall I do not regret buying this truck. I love the way it drives and traction control does a pretty good job of minimizing tire slip. I will definitely consider another Armada later down the road.

Favorite Features

Love the Bose sound system and adjustable pedals. The rear-view camera sees better in the dark than my wife's Toyota Tundra. Tire pressure monitor is viewable within the settings in the display, so you know if a tire is getting low even if it's not that visually apparent. I like not having to take my keys out of my pocket to start the vehicle or lock/unlock the doors.

Suggested Improvements

Tire pressure monitor doesn't indicate which tire is which. It just lists out four tires with their respective tire pressures. The head rests seem cheap and in an accident don't appear to be strong enough to keep someone's head from snapping back. Kind of a big deal to me.

Best Big SUV Period
By BigBaby

2009 Nissan Armada SUV LE FFV 4dr SUV (5.6L 8cyl 5A)

My wife and I traded in our 2007 Armada SE for this 2009 model, and we haven't had a single regret. I never thought a full size SUV like our Armada would be this much fun to drive, but it is. Granted the gas mileage could be a little better, but hey its a small price to pay for all the safety & luxury features it provides. We looked real hard at the Ecalades, Tahoes, and Denalis when we decided that we needed a big SUV, and I can truly say that none these vehicles have anything on our Armada.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior, Bose/Musicbox with subwoofer entertainment system, DVD, rear camera, power lift gate and third row seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage of course, adjustable time delay feature to turn off lights, and a delayed power off feature when engine is turned off.

Larger than life SUV
By Santiago

2009 Nissan Armada SUV LE FFV 4dr SUV 4WD (5.6L 8cyl 5A)

After having considered and checked pretty much every single SUV available in the market, we decided to buy our Armada for it's size, amazing interior and comfort(compared to other SUV models. It's worth noting that we were very hard to please considering we're coming from a BMW 645Ci), larger that life engine, large cargo area (can house a bike inside the cargo), and many, many nice features like power tail gate, keyless entry, foldable electrical rear seats, rearview camera, Bose sound system, DVD, bluetooth, etc. Ok, she gives poor mileage but instead, she'll give you a lot of fun with its massive engine and towing capabilities and well, personally, we love her looks. Great purchase!

Favorite Features

Powerful engine, luxurious interior, powered tail gate and rear seats, keyless entry, adjustable pedals, climate control, DVD,

Suggested Improvements

The leather quality could be better and also, I'd include a cooling system for the front seats like the one in the Chevrolet Suburban. This is very helpful in hot climate countries like the one where i live in. The GPS should receive inputs while driving.

Big and Fast
By keepemreal

2009 Nissan Armada SUV SE 4dr SUV (5.6L 8cyl 5A)

I bought the Armada shortly after I got rid of my Excursion and I have to say I am very pleased. The truck very comfortable and the features are great. I haven't had any problems and would recommend this truck as worth the price.

Favorite Features

I was surprised on how quick the Armada is. It has no problems getting out of its way with a full load.

Suggested Improvements

I would the mpg were a little too low but you have to remember you are buying a V-8 not a hybrid. I would like to see more rear cargo room but hey...not ever truck can be an Excursion.

Not the best handling SUV on the market.
By BigDaddy

2009 Nissan Armada SUV LE 4dr SUV (5.6L 8cyl 5A)

Bought the Armada because my unusually tall husband fit into it but we are so disappointed with the way it drives. If you hit a bump in the road the steering wheel practically flies out of your hand and the Armada bounces wherever it wants to go. Scary. Also, for a large vehicle there isn't very much storage so we always seem to be moving things (like the emergency car care kit) all around the vehicle. If you need to use all 3 rows of seats as we frequently do - only a small cargo space remains. I'll drive this one until it dies to get my money's worth (maybe) but I won't buy another and I would advise you to keep on shopping too.

Favorite Features

Things I do like: the fact that I can listen to music while my crew watches a movie with headsets in the back, my xm radio, my heated leather seats and heated steering wheel, the remote option to lower the windows (black gets very hot in the sun)

Suggested Improvements

THE HANDLING. It needs a better suspension. Maybe the desire to sell models equipped with bigger tires sacrificed the ride? STORAGE. The handles for the rear doors are up high so my children couldn't reach them for quite some time - that's a blessing or a curse, I guess. A curse for me.

Big, Fast, and Safe
By 7-Footr

2009 Nissan Armada SUV LE FFV 4dr SUV 4WD (5.6L 8cyl 5A)

If you are in the market for a people hauler, then this should definitely be on your list to test drive. I'm 7'1" and I fit in the Armada really good. I had to get one without the sunroof, but that didn't bother me. This is my second Armada and love this one more than the last one. If you live in your car like I do and want a fun, FAST, comfortable, safe vehicle this is it. I know the gas mileage is at best 15 miles to a gallon....but there is a trade off for safety. I was in two accidents with my 2006 Armada and walked away from both of them. To me, safety is worth the low gas mileage. Your friends will be happy you bought an Armada as well, with how comfortable they'll be.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine, power liftgate, keyless ignition, Bose stereo with sub, comfortable, smooth transmission

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage would be nice...but keep the power. Carpet could be upgraded.

OK truck not better than a Sequoia
By John

2009 Nissan Armada SUV LE FFV 4dr SUV 4WD (5.6L 8cyl 5A)

Wanted a Toyota Sequoia but ended up buying this one because of it is 4K cheaper. Never own a SUV before and will never get use to drive a car/truck this big. Yes it has all the creature comfort but it drive like a truck. With gas price moving up again this look like a mistake to get one. If you really need a truck to carry 7 or 8 adult then this is not going to be your first choice. This truck has higher clearance so it is good for offroading...but who will take this 50K machine off road? Before you decide to buy one make sure go take a test drive. Did I mentioned that I felt it was a mistake to bug a truck this big? Maybe it will grow on me. Thus far I'm still driving my 10 yrs old van.

Favorite Features

Comfortable first and second row seats. Decent engine. Quality built and fit...definitely better interior than a highly rated Sequoia. Beautiful and strong front profile. Useful rear view cam. High clearance for Chicago streets pot holes but wont fit in many underground parking lots.

Suggested Improvements

Third row seat is a joke. Only a preteen and baby can seat there comfortably. Second row seat should slide to make way for third row seat instead of fixed. Put in six gears box to improve gas mileage. More color palettes instead of same old boring color from first generation.

Great truck for the money
By Brian

2009 Nissan Armada SUV LE 4dr SUV 4WD (5.6L 8cyl 5A)

I never thought I would buy a "full size" SUV, but the Armada is an awesome truck. Great quality, great ride/acceleration. My wife who is 4'11 has no trouble driving, thanks to power adjustable pedals and rearview camera. We got a great deal since we were coming off a lease on our Pathfinder. We bought the Armada instead of leasing again.

Favorite Features

DVD player, power tailgate, rearview camera, power folding mirros, and bluetooth

Suggested Improvements

Not much... Yes, it gets poor mileage, but it will carry a LOT of people in comfort.