Used 2004 Nissan Armada SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Armada SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Armada model:

This year is should have been skipped
By eganrac

2004 Nissan Armada SUV LE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.6L 8cyl 5A)

Ill start off by saying that I absolutely ADORE my armada. Its an awesome, beautiful, powerful, comfortable vehicle that I enjoy getting in every time. That being said, the 2004 model is an absolute failure when it comes to reliability. I have had a magnitude of issues with this car since about 6 months after I purchased it. Here are my problems and my actions The 06 model would be your best choice as i have heard of limited problems with this.

Power Speed Look Comfort

2) Front Passenger axle failed and slipped out of the xfer case - Left it like that 3) When filling up, gas spits all over the place - replaced evap purge control solenoid valve and vapor canister purve valve 4) Front drivers side windows dont work - still an issue ( punching the door helps) 5) Tailpipe Fell off - Upgrade to performance muffler system 6) Radiator leak due to terrible mount point - replaced with upgraded radiator 7) Tire Pressure system failure- still unfixed 8) Auto shock leveling system failure - still unfixed 9) Dash guages fail - havent seen it happen in a year but it used to happen regularly. 10) Fold down chair problem - still unfixed.

Worth the Initial Investment
By CO Defender

2004 Nissan Armada SUV LE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.6L 8cyl 5A)

I've had The Tank for almost 6 years now, and the first 95K were absolutely trouble free. Since then, I've replaced the radiator core, A/C condenser, and most recently the right side exhaust manifold, not cheap, but considering the 108K of extremely hard driving, and $4K price tag for repairs, it's been well worth it. I'm on my 3rd set of tires (last two Bridgestone)...fuel economy is still brutal, but considering 6 years and over 100K, I'd buy another if Nissan would continue to build them.

Comfortable as all get-out. The ultimate road-trip vehicle. Rear seat legroom comparable to a limo, handles well for a tank, and pretty much bulletproof until recently. My wife keeps telling me to get rid of it. No damned way, I love this thing.

Interior finish could use some work (may have improved in later year models)...

Best hauler
By ray

2004 Nissan Armada SUV SE Off-Road 4WD 4dr SUV (5.6L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my Armada new and have been hauling 3000-8000 pound loads bi-weekly for the first 4.5 years. Only have done scheduled maintenance and replaced the front brake pads at 90,000 miles and have replaced 2 sets of tires. This is the best truck/suv I have ever owned. I live in minnesota and this truck starts in below zero temp every time. I now have a 125,000 miles and it runs like a top. It also looks brand new. In the past I have killed ford f150's and chevy 1/2 and 3/4 tons with all the hauling I do. This truck has out preformed all others I have owned. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a reliable suv. I still have the original back brake pads and will probably get 10- 15k miles

Tough truck
By Mark

2004 Nissan Armada SUV SE Off-Road 4WD 4dr SUV (5.6L 8cyl 5A)

I have 120k miles on an '04 Off-Road, and there has only been the brake rotor problem, which Nissan took care of, eventually. I routinely tow 8500 lbs. with it and haul about 500 lbs of tools always, and the truck has held up really well. Better than my previous 2 Expeditions on all accounts, especially comfort & handling.

Interior space for 4-5 grown-ups is great. Great power and transmission makes for fun off the line. Bose sound system is nice.

Fuel economy could be a little better, but with 6k lbs to haul around, it won't be much better. Some rattles are cropping up in the past 10k miles.

Learn from other's mistakes
By Grapes

2004 Nissan Armada SUV LE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.6L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased this vehicle new in DEC of 2003. I knew it was the first model year but it was a Nissan. So how many problems could it have? I'll tell you how many, more than I could have imagined in my wildest dreams. This vehicle is a piece of junk and I felt the exact same way as another reviewer. Nissan should be ashamed of themselves! Problems?, exhaust, window, levelers, brakes, overhead console, electronic powertrain module, oem tires, and squeaks, rattles and shakes that are by far the worst of any car I've ever driven. And I'm 53. Don't know if things changed this year but the armada was rated one of the 5 least reliable vehicles for 5 years running.

Power Room

Start from scratch. I can't believe they've been selling this piece of junk for 6 years. But then again, look at their competition in the BIG SUV class. Maybe that answers the question.