2016 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 31 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

The 2016 changes make this car.
By Kumacho

2016 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I am a dyed in the wool gearhead. I love cars, I have always loved cars. However, as age caught up to me I felt it was time to leave my Detroit muscle and sports cars behind.

When I first decided to buy a more (as my wife puts it) “Adult” car I looked at the 2013 Altima. I liked the features but I let the dealership steer me to a Dodge Avenger because that was the only car they had that would be suitable for getting me out of the Audi A6 I was upside down in. They made it clear they could work the deal on the Dodge but not the Nissan.

What a fool I was. I should have stuck to my guns and not have gotten the Dodge.

When I decided on the Nissan I drove the Kia Optima, Hyundai Sonata, Chevrolet Malibu and the Toyota Camry.

While I liked the Optima most of all (2.0 liter turbo) it was more expensive than the others and the dealer wouldn’t deal with us.

The Altima and the Sonata hybrid were actually tied as far as driving and initial quality. But the Sonata hybrids in the area were all base vehicles and the limited were hard to find.

The Malibu and the Toyota were both in last place as a tie. The Malibu just didn’t have the fit finish and feel of the others. Cheaper plastics and the infotainment system was not to my liking. The Camry fell so low because it lacked styling and didn’t seem as advanced as the others.

The Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) on the Altima works really well. I was actually very surprised at what it could do. To test it; I allowed it to slow me all the way to a stop. When it came to a stop the car sat there for about two seconds and a chime warned me the ICC was turning off.

The front seats are nearly lazy boy recliner comfortable. Nissan’s Zero Gravity seats are not just a gimmick they really are very comfortable. I find them just as comfortable as the 2005 Audi A6 I had two cars ago.

Here is where most people have a problem with the Altima. They are not accustomed to the Constant Variable Transmission (CVT) and the way it feels. For a four cylinder car that gets as high as 42mpg on the freeway (I got that on a 180 mile trip) And 0-60 in 8.2 seconds is not that bad for a midsized 2.5l car! It just doesn’t feel like a normal transmission. Even in Ds (Sport mode) the transmission doesn’t give shift points really. It tries to simulate them, but it does fail. What the CVT doesn’t fail at is giving smooth power at a constant rate and delivers great MPG.

I was a little concerned about the reliability issues with the transmission. Until I read the article about Nissan demanding Jatco (the manufacturer of the CVT) make them right. Everything I have read shows the early problems were just that, early problems… I also own a Subaru Outback with a CVT and it feels different. Much more “slushy” feeling.

Glad I rented before buying one.
By Deric

2016 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SR 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This may be a ok car for short daily drives. For a start, it is lacking off the line. Huge hesitation. Not expecting to smoke tires but more than a kind of "Ok I'm going." But we did get good fuel mileage at about 35mpg. Back to the major negative, This is not a car for long trips. Took it for a 12hr vacation trip and was miserable. The drive train and road noise is terrible. At average of 70mph there is way too much noise. The radio as to be turned up so loud to enjoy it that when slowing down to pay tolls you felt like your blasted out of the car. This is with the speed volume controls turned on. Not only that but the car jumps and jitters at every bump. So much so that you can hear every loose piece in the interior rattle. The the seats are not comfortable as my back was sore after one way. My passengers in the back were not anymore comfortable. Only thing good was at least there was good interior space. The headrest is absolutely useless. It's hardness and angle are not useful. I was half tempted to pull the thing off. I was worried if I was in an accident that I would suffer from a neck injury just from my head hitting the headrest. Now I all fairness, I know I wasn't driving the top of the line version of the car. So I can't expect all the luxury in the world. But a base model should create excitement to want to upgrade to get more from the car. What this base felt like is punishment for going base. I don't want to feel like I have to spend the extra to have a decent car. I want to start with a decent car and then want to upgrade to make it better. This is not a car I would buy just to see if it is worth the extra money.

Great car so far
By Nick A

2016 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Love the styling of the altima for 2016. It has great acceleration even with the four cylinder and handles pretty good. Ive been averaging 31mpg with mostly city driving. Road noise is a little much but i think its these cheap tires it comes w from the factory. Engine makes alot of noise but i like to hear my engine most of the time. The A/C in this car will freeze you to a solid block of ice in no time even on low. Only have 1200 miles so far but will update my review as time goes on. Great car for the money, if you want something that's going to drive like a million bucks then spend a million bucks.

Drive me I'm fun.
By Louis Schrammel

2016 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Drive more than one make of car and you will see that the Altima is worth buying.I drove four other brands and chose the Altima for ride comfort,performance and looks.

Great
By Deanna sall

2016 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Love my car best car I ever had love it it rides great great gas mileage