2014 Nissan Altima Consumer Review: 2014 Nice but...wiring/electri

2014 Nissan Altima - Consumer Review

2.5 S Sedan (2.5L 4-cyl. CVT Automatic)

2014 Nice but...wiring/electrical issues!
By arlyo on

2014 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I first tried a 2013 but didn't like it....really noisy. After test driving other midsize cars and reading that the 2014 had more insulation added, I took the 14 out again and thought it was a lot better...and bought a 2.5S. Unlike the 13's the 2014 S has a display audio package option.. (Rear view monitor...USB port....& 5" display) for $320...so I added that option. This car has a lot of positives....nice compromise of handling/ride...Great gas mileage...No engine shudder like some 13 owners had. Power steering noise once out of the garage is a non-issue for me. So Nissan has corrected problems for the most part that the 13's had. So the issues? Read on.

This car is capable of really getting some great gas mileage. I was first disappointed when I got the car as I was only getting about 25 - 27 mpg with about a 20/80 mix of city/highway driving. But once the weather warmed up and about 3000 miles on the car I now, in warm weather am averaging 33-34 with same mix driving. On some short ( 25 mile) jaunts I've gotten 45 - 50 mpg...on 4 lane highways. Rear view monitor can also help in parallel parking as it has side markers as well as how close you are getting to a car in back of you.

Driving this car on open 4 lane highways where the wind can get at it can be a real chore. The steering needs to constantly be corrected one way and then the other. Then, just 2-3 weeks after I had the car I went to start it and....dead battery. I got a jump start and continued on.... on my way back from a nearby city, all of a sudden the radio came on.. by itself. I didn't have it on all day, and I thought I now have a possible reason why I had a dead battery. After much wrangling with my local dealer they replaced battery. A few weeks later it happened again. Dealer found nothing wrong. I now carry a Clore jump starter battery with me wherever I go...bummer for a new car.