2014 Nissan Altima Consumer Review: It's what I was hoping for

2014 Nissan Altima - Consumer Review

2.5 SV Sedan (2.5L 4-cyl. CVT Automatic)

It's what I was hoping for
By oesterlin on

2014 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I had a problem. I have a commute of 25 miles each way, none of which is on superhighway. My car was getting old, and I needed to replace it. My biggest requirement is that since I'm 6'8" I need to have a car with generous room for the driver. I went to the auto show, and most of the small cars were just too tight. Even in the mid-size class, only the Chevy Malibu, Ford Fusion, and Nissan Altima seemed to be roomy enough. After test drives, I settled on the Altima bcause it seemed most comfortable to me. Now, after having it for a few months, I have some overall good impressions regarding what I had heard about the car.

The handling and acceleration are good. Great trunk space and remote control function. I like that the transmission kicks in to slow the car on a downgrade. The standard headlights are nice and bright, stereo sounds good (six speaker) and interior seems to be well laid out. I love the remote control, and that you can unlock the door without taking it out (on the door handle). Handsfree phone works great. Front seats are very comfortable. We really did get 38mpg on a recent trip, and get around 28mpg in normal driving.

Nissan Connect is a waste of time. Why would I want to do Facebook on the dashboard? That and other apps have to be started on the phone first before you push the app button. Why is there a screen on the dashboard that shows you the color of the car? Can't you just look at the hood? There are so many different warning beeps that I don't know what they all mean. One-touch down on the power windows is a little too sensitive, and I end up putting the window up and down a few times. I wish there was a little spot for spare change.