Used 2013 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 233 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

It's the alternator folks.
By Beth

2013 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought mine in October used at a Nissan dealer with 11,000 miles. I test drove it and it seemed fine. Looking under the hood the battery had a lot acid deposits and the history report indicated that the battery terminals had been replaced. The dealership said it was a faulty battery and replaced it. After driving the car a month I noticed the rumbling at slow speeds. Took it back to the dealer and they replaced the alternator at no charge to me. Rumbling sound gone and car was performing so much better. Fast forward to June of the next year I start using the AC and I started having a few intermittent incidents where the AC compressor does not come on. I was still learning the car and thought maybe I didn't have the controls set properly. In August it quit altogether. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the AC compressor, again no charge. At this point the car is out of warranty and the Certified Used Car Warranty does not cover AC components. The original faulty alternator had destroyed the internal workings of the compressor and it failed at 15,800 miles and it had caused the battery issue too. Now with a new alternator and new ac compressor the car is as it should be and I love it. It has the most comfortable front seats with fantastic lumbar support. It handles well, get great gas mileage, is roomy, easy to get in and out of, including the back seat as the roof doesn't slope so much as other models in this range. It has many safety features found only in high end cars. The CVT gives the car a smooth quiet ride. The original factory installed alternator was under powered which caused the battery and AC compressor issues. Hopefully it was replaced in time to not damage the transmission. Nissan knows and the dealerships know it's the alternator and a good dealer will replace it and the components it damaged without charge for their customers. My dealer told me that Nissan paid for the replaced parts and labor.

Handles like a Go-Cart!
By David Oliver

2013 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

At 41 mpg I got on a 700+ mile trip you get about 700 miles to a tank of gas. I almost did the whole round trip without buying gas! The car I rented had pretty loud road noise, but I attribute that to the tires and the fact that the rental agency had pumped them all up to 42 pounds. The doggone thing cornered like a rabbit and was very fun to drive. Most of the time I felt I was creeping along, but was doing at least the speed limit. It was so comfortable to me that I drove the entire trip and never shuffled around in the seat. I hope to purchase a 2013 or 2014 soon as the newer models come out.

Everything is as expected.
By Scott Doney

2013 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Altima smoothness
By Anthony Matthews

2013 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Very satisfied with this car have had this car since August 2012. Still rides great no major repairs just general maintenance. Nissan fan always. Great cars for the average hard working person.

Check Consumer Reports before Buying!
By Disappointed

2013 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchase a "certified used" 2013 Altima ten months ago, without a warranty. Being a little old school teacher, I've only driven it 6,000 miles in that time. It has been in the shop five separate times for repairs: Alternator replacement, serpentine belt replacement, radiator replaced, A/C condensor just went out, and two vehicle recalls. Being the former owner of a 2008 Altima, which did not have a single problem, I placed my faith in the reliability of the product without checking Consumer Reports for the 2013 version. Check the report; the 2013-newer Altima's consumer rating are inferior to older versions. I absolutely love the style and comfort of this car, but it looks like Nissan has lost me as a customer with its poor dependability and expensive repairs.