What To Expect After You Buy
By paul_ss454 on
2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)
To those considering this car, I suggest you do a search on 2013 Altima CVT problems. You’ll find a wealth of detail on what buyers are experiencing. For me, the widely reported vibration problem surfaced near 1000 miles. The dealer keeps insisting that it is a normal for a car with a CVT and refuses to repair. That stance is deceptive because the problem didn’t develop until the car had miles. None of the documentation for the car discloses that this is expected to occur. The repeated response Nissan Customer Care is “work with your dealer to resolve”. The car offers some compelling features. It’s unfortunate this flaw combined with poor customer support makes it a very bad purchase
Suggested Improvements
Acknowledge the problem. Reprogram the CVT to eliminate engine lugging that results in the eventual vibration from other drive train components. This will also help other bad characteristics of the vehicle that include lack of responsiveness and surging when driving in typical stop and go traffic.
By jm3049
on 03/19/13 15:01 PM (PDT)

my dealer is putting on new belt tensioner spring, will see if it lasts, I agree with the lugging characteristic, that is the sensation exactly! I don't experience the surging on mine produced 8/12 bought 11/12. I've had 3 maximas 2 altimas and 1 pathfinder since 2005 and I must say im a bit disappointed. Overall great car but need to own up on this situation, I also have the whistling steering wheel and doors that rub on plastic rocker panel when in teens and 20's out, sounds like an old car door, plastic changes shape with temp. John

By radar22
on 03/20/13 14:33 PM (PDT)

Mine has the same rumbling noise from the transmission at low speed. After numerous complaints to my dealer and Nissan learned last week that there will be an official recall notice coming out sometime in April. Hope they can fix this annoying problem that seems to be common on early Altimas.

By djreinz
on 04/03/13 05:56 AM (PDT)

i own a 2012 altima sr and i have no issues with cvt, my 09 altima the same now my wifes 2013 pathfinder cvt is annoying to drive! Low speeds with low rpm's cvt has shudder-dealer knows people are complaining but engineering has no fix yet so it is a "normal" characteristic! I am in this line of work and know the techs can only do what the engineers alow and are willing to take the heat to get issues fixed. nissan CS sucks at the least but we will see if a recall/campaign is released. TAKE NOTE a campaign will most likey be a silet one so if you are not complaining they will not fix, so make sure your dealer is in the loop :-)

By zxpatric
on 04/20/13 12:09 PM (PDT)

Yes. Seems a new issue for 2013. Software bugs??? If yes, wasn't it easy to fix? Do some if-else and raise the ratio a little bit. Lower the ratio will cause vibration and it will hurt the mileage more NOT less. Please Complaint it at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

By mred72
on 03/20/13 18:31 PM (PDT)

Tensioner belt replacement will do nothing. I had it done. It is also my understanding that now with Honda going by way of the CVT route, they are having the same issues too. Folks, this is a perfect example of how Government is telling companies what they must do and this is the result.

By barry5k
on 03/31/13 14:56 PM (PDT)

I"ve had the same problems with the CVT, whining noise, and more. The CVT lags and "grinds" at about 1500 rpms. The steering whine is totally unacceptable. After going going to the dealer several times, opening a complaint file with Nissan, and going to the BBB for arbitration, they FINALLY sent a regional tech to fix it. Well, 700 miles later all issues are returning. The dealer no longer chooses to help, and after just three months, I sold the car and took a loss. Don't buy an Altima! Just read consumer reviews. I wish I did. I am very happy with the car I bought.