2013 Nissan Altima Consumer Review: to small for the big guy

2013 Nissan Altima - Consumer Review

to small for the big guy
By pappyd314 on

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 11/12 (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Deceptive mileage rating. While traveling back home from Florida - 1,100 mile trip - I set the cruise at 70 and the MPG rating showed 40+MPG. When I pumped gas and used my calculator, I actually got about 35MPG. My Ford Taurus does this also but the actual mileage is usually only about 1 mile less than that shown on the car readout. The Altima, while getting good mileage, is not as great as everyone thinks. Don't be fooled by the car readout, check the mileage yourself. Make sure to fully top off the tank as this may make a big difference.

Again, while a nice car for my wife - it replaced her old 1999 Chevy Blazer that she finally traded in with 193,000 miles on it - I am 6'2" and 205 pounds and this car is not that comfortable for me on those long drives. When I got home from that 1,100 mile trip and jumped into my 2011 Taurus I immediately could tell the difference and, the Taurus is not that comfortable either. Again, nice car but not that comfortable if you're above average in size.

At just over one month of ownership the car has already had an electronic failure recall. The Sirius Radio is terrible - my Taurus has Sirius and the reception is great while the Altima's radio goes in and out with poor reception. The dealer said it was a Sirius problem and that they would be sending some CD to install a download that would fix it - we'll see. The mileage readout is false and needs to be set so it shows actual MPG not some fictitious readout that makes you feel good. The car is overpriced in my estimation. My wife bought it for the gas mileage and she is satisfied so far. She does like the car and my daughter did own a Nissan Sentra and that was a good car too.