Bought it for the MPG, very disappointed
By erichards on
2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)
I traded in a very nice, fully equipped 2007 Altima 3.5 SE for the 2013 2.5 SV because the poor fuel mileage of the 3.5 - I was averaging 21-22 in my daily commute (125 miles round trip) - and thought the new 2.5 and its 27/38 rating would save enough on gas to justify the new car payment. I was wrong; so far I have only been able to average 26-27 mpg in driving that is about 50/50 highway/city. Otherwise in its first 3k miles the car has been otherwise just ok; the seats are more comfortable than the old one, but the whole "zero-gravity" thing is a bit of over-hype. The ride is softer, which is nice for commuting, but it gives up some of the sportyness that the SE offered to get that ride.
Favorite Features
Comfortable ride, modern looking interior, front seats are better than previous model.
Suggested Improvements
Find a way for normal people to get even close to the EPA mileage estimates. Fix whistling noise from electric power steering.
By mred72
on 04/16/13 07:42 AM (PDT)

I agree 100%. I am finding that ALL manufacturers are WAY off from reality with their so-called estimated MPG. Unless you are a slow driver doing or driving under the speed limit, these ratings are false. The government should be going after these manufacturers for false advertisement.

By erichards
on 02/12/14 07:48 AM (PST)

zx not sure what you're referring to re vibration; the transmission in my car works just fine, no vibration. FWIW, my car was built in Jan '13, so they may have worked out some of the issues by then. I'm up to almost 29k miles now (just over 11 months), and other than the originally mentioned issues (mileage & p/s whistling) the only other problem I've had is the brake warning light has come on maybe half a dozen times for no apparent reason. The first couple of times I got out and checked the reservoir, and looked for leaks around the calipers, found nothing & the reservoir was full. Every time this has happened the light has gone off after turning off and re-starting the car, so I can only assume it's an issue with the sending unit. That makes it tough to take back to the dealer though, since the problem disappears when you turn off the car. One other issue I am just starting to see/feel - and this was a problem with my '07 also - is under moderate to heavy braking I can feel just a slight pulsing in the brakes. It seems the rotors/pads Nissan uses tend to 'haze' (as the Nissan tech put it) after 25k-35k miles, and this will make it feel like the rotors are warped. I took care of this on my '07 by replacing the oem rotors/pads with better quality ones, I suspect I will have to do that with this car when it's time for new pads. Otherwise, in almost a year and 30k miles of driving, I've changed the oil and rotated the tires.

By zxpatric
on 04/20/13 12:01 PM (PDT)

It might be the vibrant of CVT transmission undercuts the mileage Nissan claims. File a complain at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml