2013 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
On the road in my 2013 Altima 3.5 SL
By caliguy1 on 02/24/13 13:55 PM (PST)

2013 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I test drove a 2013 Altima 2.5 last fall and did not like the sound of the CVT transmission with the 4 cyl. engine. I drove a 3.5 SL with the V6 and loved it, but I put off getting one. I recently leased a 3.5 from Mossy Nissan in San Diego and the car is fully loaded!! It's great to drive, comfortable, quiet, smooth with plenty of power when it's needed. Although I only have 550 miles on the car at the moment, I can say I'm impressed with it and think I made a great choice. My first choice was a VW Passat, but the design was blan to me, especially the dashboard area, and VW just couldn't meet the lease terms Nissan offered.

Noisy vibration
By bab12078 on 02/24/13 09:43 AM (PST)

2013 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Love the riding quality and comfort of the interior. But the noisy vibration when starting to accelerate is overwhelmingly annoying. When the rattle is louder than your radio something is wrong. We have taken it to the dealer and they are going to replace the drive belt and tentioner in the transmission. They have already changed the exhaust pipe due to finding the O2 censor cross-threaded in the pipe. This however did not fix the problem. Hopefully changing the belt will. Apparently Nissan is recognizing the problem and trying to find a solution. We were much happier with the old CVT transmission and one less mpg on fuel mileage.

Disappointed and Concerned/Buyer Beware
By tsz628 on 02/24/13 07:07 AM (PST)

2013 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my new 2013 Nissan Altima in January, 2013. I have had the vehicle now for nearly 2 months and 1300 miles. The performance of the vehicle thus far has been very disappointing. A very annoying vibration and lugging of the car upon acceleration at low rpms has been an issue. I just recently took a short trip using all interstates and felt a vibration and howling noise in the car the entire trip at speeds of 65-75mph. I have called the dealership and was told this was typical of a CVT Transmission. That statement is far from the truth. Nissan has a serious problem and needs to find a solution to correct this problem. Without these very annoying issues this can be a great car.

Read carefully-good car with minor annoyances.
By mred72 on 02/23/13 21:32 PM (PST)

2013 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car with 6,000 miles on it. Dealership had reprogrammed the CVT so the notorious vibration at low RPM's is somewhat eliminated. The entire rear lighting assembly was replaced as others complained about. Car DOES NOT get much more than 33 MPG as of writing this, but it should improve in warmer weather, at least it better (I drive all highway). Still it's better than the 26 MPG I was getting in my 05' V6 Avalon and Solara. Very nice handling and little road noise. Comfortable car, fit and finish done very nicely. Had fog lights installed afterward. Makes a big difference in distribution of lighting.

Never a Nissan again!
By jban on 02/22/13 14:08 PM (PST)

2013 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my Nissan Altima back in September. I've been back to the dealership 5 times already. Break light coming on while driving on the highway, air bag light comes on while my wife is sitting in the seat, window squeaks as I’m rolling it down, I can hear my AC fan is loud, and the biggest problem is every other day I use the push button to start the car and it cranks, cranks, and cranks before starting. Almost like the battery is dead. I've taken it back 5 times and every time they just replace the fuel pump. I just hope I can get the lemon law claimed on this car. Very disappointing Nissan...

Wind or design flaw?
By lruthers on 02/22/13 13:17 PM (PST)

2013 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

On February 19, 2013, when I pressed the button to open the trunk from inside the car, the lid came up with enough force to make the corners of the trunk lid shatter the rear window. The dealership maintains that a gust of wind must have caused this, although I and another witness told them that it wasn’t unusually windy. I pressed the release button and *CRASH*. There was no pause or delay. If it was a gust of wind, it would have had to come up just as I pressed that button and in just the exact location to fling that lid open. That's a heck of a coincidence, and I don't believe in coincidences that illogical.

Deep Buyer's Remorse
By atglass2 on 02/21/13 07:55 AM (PST)

2013 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my new 2013 Altima in Nov. 2012. I have had the car for 3 months and I have had to take it back to dealership 5 different times for the same lugging noise and vibration issue. They replaced the belt and belt tensioner but the relief from the awful noise and vibration only lasted a short time. I have 2 open cases with Nissan customer care but all I can get out of them is that Nissan is aware of the problem. Now they don't even return my phone calls. The service manager at my dealership told me that their hands are tied, meaning I'm on my own. I have owned many new cars in my lifetime and if I had an issue, it was quickly addressed. This time it has been a nightmare.

Quiet Lexus-like ride is the 2013 Altima
By hondaccord09 on 02/20/13 19:28 PM (PST)

2013 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This car is like the Maxima, Lexus or Infinity, with the quiet, soft, comfortable ride with high mpg rating. Gas prices are not going lower. It's around $4/gallon as of today. I don't know what's is going on with the deal. This car has the qualities of a Lexus or Infinity but is priced a tens and twenty thousands dollars less! The suspension is not stiff at all. The 17" wheel base gives the car a good, quick, controlled ride on the highway. The interior comes with very comfortable seating and everything is laid out nicely and vertically.

now it is great
By carpersonvu on 02/18/13 05:41 AM (PST)

2013 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought the car in August 2012----I had the vibration at 20 and 40 MPH as reported by a number of people. I worked with cosumer realtions at Nissan---the lady I got was FANTASTIC---after dealing with the dealer who did not know what to do and said it was the CVT, she got a design engineer to drive my car and he told me it was the belt tensioner---the early ones did not have a stong enough spring---they replaced it and the car is now FANTASTIC---it is not the CVT---If you have this problem insist on a new belt tensioner---make sure it is a new one with the new design and you will then love the car as I do.

headlights
By shelly30 on 02/15/13 19:01 PM (PST)

2013 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought a 2013 Nissan Altima sedan back in November. I traded my 2012. I noticed that whenever the headlights are on that there is a smudgy place, which later found out it is a shadow from the lamp. I did talk to my dealership and they said all the headlights were like that. I called and reported it to consumer affairs nissan. She wrote up a case number and all and asked me to send pictures. I did that and she sent them to the engineering department. She called me back and told me that it's the lamp and that there's no solution to correcting this as of right now. My question is did whoever make this car not look at it before sending it out on the market. You buy a brand new car

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Nissan Altima Sedan in WA is:

$190 per month*