2013 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
WARNING - DO NOT BUY!!!
By dwlund on 04/09/13 14:57 PM (PDT)

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Purchased 2013 Altima August 2012 - my first (and last!) Nissan. Nothing but problems. Vibration/rumbling at 1500 rpm's a nightmare. In for service on 4 different occasions - dealership would never admit to problem - stated it was characteristic of CVT. Went to Nissan HQ - they finally admitted there was a problem. Referred me back to dealership to replace belt and tensioner. Worked ok for several hundred miles, then vibration returned. Could not take any more. Traded it in for a 2013 Toyota Avalon - took a loss, but hated the car. Also had problem with heated seats, wind noise protruding from side-view mirror, noise from power steering. In other words - a real lemon!!! Nissan the worst!!!

2013 Altima - Not Quite Ready!
By rtinaglia on 04/07/13 15:41 PM (PDT)

2013 Nissan Altima 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Among the many continuing problems -heated seats that don't heat unformally;power sterring wine, no fix after 6 months; very hard ride -they suggested I change tires! GPS is ridiculous, Center vents can never be closed- continually run air unless you turn off system. Sensor for cabin temp is on the top of the dashboard - when ever it's sunny, even in winter it blows cold a/c air to cool no matter if the cabin is 40 degrees. rearview camera washes out in sunlight. Blind spot system is usless in wet weather - it either sees nothing or falses all of time. Nothing can be adjusted! Interior drivers area is tight - & I'm only 5-7". No passenger power seat in a 32K car! The CVT trans slips.

noise and vibration when accelerating
By teach13 on 04/07/13 13:32 PM (PDT)

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We have had our car to the dealer three times and called the Nissan Customer Service to register a complaint. Customer Service says the car is running normal and that they have not received any complaints. This car makes a lot of noise and vibration when accelerating from a stopped position. It sounds like an old car. Also, the car was recalled once and soon will be recalled a second time because the light keeps coming on saying the passenger seat air bag is off. Do not buy this car!!!

Car will not accelerate
By franklin18 on 04/05/13 09:58 AM (PDT)

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought our car the end of Feb 2013. We loved it, after taking it out that weekend the car gave a BSW code and when pushing the gas the car would just stall and not go. I would have to let off the gas and then push the gas again it would go. After 8 days in the shop we were told it was a wire that was not grounded properly. 5 days later, I would push the gas and the car would stall, I called they had my car another 4 days to be told it was a faulty stop lamp switch. Had the car for 4 more days and now it is back in the shop for the exact same problem. Called Nissan North America and still waiting on a return call from 2 days ago! I love the car, wish it would run properly!

pearl white paint discoloration
By franklit on 04/04/13 11:17 AM (PDT)

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased a 2013 pearl white Nissan Altima about a month ago. When driving the car home from the dealership my husband and I stopped by a restaurant to eat and it was just beginning to get dark outside when my husband noticed a some light and dark stripes on the drivers side door, didn't think much about it until the next when it was light outside and could get a better look and also asked our son to look at the car to make sure he could also see the stripping or like tiger stripes and it's definately visible. We also noticed at local dealerships there were also pearl white altima's with the same discoloration on the doors. So if you are deciding to buy a Pearl White Nissan Altima BE WARE

CVT Sucks!
By alan106 on 04/03/13 13:02 PM (PDT)

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I've been driving my 2013 Altima SV for 6 months. I regret having purchased this car. I should have bought a Camry. The CVT transmission is defective by design. While cruising at highway speeds and attepting to maintain a specific speed, the transmission at about 1800-2000 rpm, will begin to vibrate at a low rumble....which is not only audible but felt. At any speed, engine noise is NOT what you expect in a family sedan. Wind noise, with closed windows, is inexusable. The whine from the power steering is only a problem when you start the car. Once running it's inaudible. On the positive side: the car has great acceleration, breaks,exterior design. The car feels solid and has good gas milage

Read the reviews before buying or leasing
By rboas1 on 04/02/13 07:26 AM (PDT)

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The 2013 Altima is a science project from Nissan that the consumer is leasing or buying unknowingly being stuck with a car that has major flaws, one being the CVT chattering issue that Nissan claims is normal. It is like having a manual transmission and attempting to start off in 3rd gear, doors that rub against the lower side panels during cold weather (dealer repaired after 2 days in the body shop), whining noise coming from power steering, blind side warning lights that come on within the cabin at random during rainy days. These issues are reported on any site that reviews the 2013 Altima, but the Nissan rep claims it is the first time she has heard of them.

Kudos to Edmunds
By new_style on 03/16/13 17:44 PM (PDT)

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Using the pricing information and buying advice on Edmunds.com I purchased a 2013 Altima SV with the convenience package/wheel locks/lojack/floor mats for the crazy low price of $23,967 out the door (included taxes and all fees). True Value Price was $24,251 before taxes, Dealer fees, and DMV fees. If there was a photo option I would post it because I couldn't believe it either. I did have to walk out on one of the dealerships that said they could match the price but they dinked around for an hour offering me less equipped cars...so I left. Don't hesitate to leave...stick to your guns. If I had given in on that they would have back peddled on everything else.

What To Expect After You Buy
By paul_ss454 on 03/16/13 06:02 AM (PDT)

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

To those considering this car, I suggest you do a search on 2013 Altima CVT problems. You’ll find a wealth of detail on what buyers are experiencing. For me, the widely reported vibration problem surfaced near 1000 miles. The dealer keeps insisting that it is a normal for a car with a CVT and refuses to repair. That stance is deceptive because the problem didn’t develop until the car had miles. None of the documentation for the car discloses that this is expected to occur. The repeated response Nissan Customer Care is “work with your dealer to resolve”. The car offers some compelling features. It’s unfortunate this flaw combined with poor customer support makes it a very bad purchase

Buyers Remorse
By cltking on 03/15/13 08:19 AM (PDT)

2013 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This car is pretty amazing! I fell in love with it when I first saw it. When it was time to buy, I narrowed my two choices down to the new Accord and this Altima. I ultimately chose the altima.I regret buying a this car. The CVT engine is the main problem. It shakes and shudders when you accelerate off the line. I did my research and from my understanding., CVTs are suppose to be smooth sailing. They are suppose to hold their RPM steady until you apply a diffrent amount of pressure on to the pedal. When I accelerate, the rpm goes up to about 2000 then it drops down to the 1000's and i feel a shock/shutter. Until nissan fixes this car's engine, DONT BUY THIS CAR! The value of the car willdrop

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Nissan Altima in VA is:

$157 per month*