Used 2013 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 228 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2013 Nissan Altima

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Nissan Altima SV 2.5
By Michael

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The car started to shake when I parked or stopped at a light 3 days after I leased it . When I took it back to services the fixed the problem. Now it been 3 months and I just hit 30,408 miles. The car is comfortable and reliable. But the only problem I have is the car getting dirty quickly. I Pray for 5 years

VERY disappointed with car - many problems.
By sad owner

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I don't even have 36,000 miles on this car and have had to replace the transmission, brake pads, battery and now waiting for rear shocks to come in to replace them as well. I bought a new car so that I wouldn't have issues and worry that can come with an older automobile. I work a lot and the inconvenience of having my car in the shop frequently, as well as the time I have had to wait to be towed, etc. is ridiculous. I have had two Acuras, a Honda and two Toyota's and have never had a complaint. I will NEVER buy a Nissan again after this. I just can't take that chance. I can only hope these problems are behind me. If not, I'll come back and update for you.

83,000 and no probles at all!
By Ray

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 11/12 (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

83,000 miles and no problmes. I'm going to flush the cvt trans before I hit 90,000 miles. I have changed the oil every 7,500 miles. I love the car.

Transmission Transmission Transmission
By Bill Carswell

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Read the reviews and do your research before considering the purchase of a 2013 Nissan Altima. Our CVT transmission was just replaced at 64K, 4k outside the warranty. There are numerous complaints all about the same issue! Shudder and juttering and then it just quits - torque converter locked up. Luckliy for us it happened while we were coming to a stop!

Stay clear of this car - it is going to cost you $3k-$4k some day for a transmission. Nissan needs to admit that Jatco (75% ownership by Nissan) has built another flawed CVT transmission and start the recall. They admitted this issue with 2003 -2010 CVT equipped cars.

If you have had an issue with your 2013 Altima, we all need to complain to the NHTSA and have our cases logged.

www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Tranny, brakes, bearings...what's next?
By Mike Alumbaugh

2013 Nissan Altima 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Congratulations Nissan you built a car with the reliability of a Fiat. In less than three years and just over 36,000 miles we have serviced the transmission 3-4 times (I've lost count), had it brought in for brake noise (screeching) at least 4 times, and just this week the bearings in both rear wheels had to be replaced. The brakes still squeal but they won't do anything about it because it isn't "that bad." They reconditioned the surface of the rotors, re-shimmed the pads and replaced the pads 9 months ago. I warned them then that I knew this was only a temporary fix and that I was concerned that they would get noisy again once the warranty expires and that is exactly what has happened. A few months before that they shimmed the pads which made it better temporarily. The disk brakes on every other car I've owned have not been anywhere close to this noisy! Unless I change the pads and turn the rotors to sell it it will easily affect the value of the car and then I am only passing this problem along to the next owner.
The tranny has the shakes. It has been reprogrammed, the alternator was replaced because supposedly the voltage was affecting the timing of the tranny, and most recently a vale body was replaced. The oscillation problem is better for now but my wife had it buck again last week just not as bad. Now we have a vibration at about 72-73 MPH that is reportedly "engine harmonics" that resonates through the body of the vehicle. None of my other cars (including the Fiat) have ever had "engine harmonics" ring throughout the car. Their claim that this is acceptable is ridiculous. Their competitors do not have this problem.
I am highly concerned that I have more bearing issues in the future. Being the Director of Operations for a manufacturer I know what a rogue lot is. Unless the front bearings are different than the rear the odds are that the front wheels are exposed too.
We bought this car because of it and Nissan's reputation as being a good product and company which may be true, but that hasn't been our experience. IF YOU DO HAVE PROBLEMS expect nothing but pushback from Nissan.
Update: 7/3/16 sold the Nissan Altman, bought a Honda Accord, problem solved.