2013 Nissan Altima Consumer Review: 2013 Altima 3.5SV

2013 Nissan Altima - Consumer Review

2013 Nissan Altima

3.5 SV Sedan (3.5L V6 CVT Automatic)

2013 Altima 3.5SV
By oxman3 on

2013 Nissan Altima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I cannot understand all the criticism of the CVT tranny. I just purchased it on Jan 1, 2014 & it is as near perfect as you can get. I have driven it in a hard acceleration mode as well as normal driving & I cannot even tell when it shifts, & boy when I get on it, it really goes. No hesitations or quirky little hiccups. The paddle shift is neat, but I don't use it. We live in the mountains & the driving is up, down & all around & we are already getting 27 MPG on it. For a large V6, this is excellent mileage. I fully expect to get over 30 mpg on a trip. I do not know anything about the 2.5, but if you purchase this vehicle, I highly recommend the 3.5. This is a great car.

Everything.

There is only one item I do not like. The sun visors are just to small & do not cover much of the side windows.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By mred72
on 01/14/14 15:20 PM (PST)

And there are recalls on the 3.5. Wishing you all the best. Glad my nightmare is gone! Let us know 1,000 miles from now how you like the car

By erichards
on 04/06/15 13:18 PM (PDT)

Wow, seem this car has a bit of Jekyll/Hyde thing going on. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who got the Jekyll version. I bought my '13 2.5SV new in Feb 2013, use it as a daily commuter for my 124 mile round trip, and as of now, with 64k miles on the odo, I have changed the oil every 5k-6k miles, replaced the brake rotors (at ~35k miles), brake pads (at ~63k miles), and am just getting ready to put on a new set of tires. The rotors weren't really bad, but had started to "glaze", which I could hear and feel under moderate/heavy braking, so I replaced them with high-quality aftermarket rotors, and haven't had a problem since. I should note, I had to do the same thing on my '07 Altima 3.5 SE around the same milage, so I would have to ding Nissan for the cheap rotors. Otherwise, the car is perfect for the intended purpose. I feel for those of you who have experienced problems, and hope you get some satisfaction from Nissan - although they're not very good in my experience about dealing with defects...

By oxman3
on 01/19/14 20:05 PM (PST)

About those side visors. I was the same way about them until I discovered they slide further out.

By banddit
on 02/03/14 10:55 AM (PST)

Wow! I would be a little upset myself if mine was doing that. I hope everything turns out a lot better for you. I guess I got lucky & got one of the good ones. We shall see what we shall see. I am glad I bought the extended warranty now. Bumper to bumper coverage for 5 years or 100,000 miles. I checked my mileage the old fashioned way with a pen, paper & a calculator against what the readout said. The readout said 28.3 mpg & my calculator said 28.22. I am one happy camper. Can't wait to see what I get on our road trip to Vegas. And as I said before, my tranny is very, very smooth with no sound at all.

By banddit
on 01/27/14 10:39 AM (PST)

I would be curious to know what you don't like about it. Mine is the quietest, smoothest running vehicle I have ever owned. Do you have the 2.5 4 banger, or the 3.5 V6? Mine is the V6 & it is powerful and very smooth. Love the CVT tranny. Still averaging around 26 -28 mpg doing stop & go mountain driving. Can't wait to see what I get on a trip. It really gets up & down these mountains quickly & smoothly.

By banddit
on 10/10/14 13:42 PM (PDT)

15,000 miles. Still getting 26 - 28 mpg here in the mountains. we got 35 mpg on a Las Vegas trip. This a really great auto. I love the CVT tranny, very smooth. This car drives like a dream, has great acceleration & the seats are extremely comfortable. For $24,000 I consider it a steal. Lithia Nissan of Fresno went out of their way to get me into this vehicle. This is my 3rd consecutive new auto from Lithia & they have treated me right for years.

By banddit
on 02/18/14 16:15 PM (PST)

2,000 miles. Drives like a dream. Good control around the mountain roads, very smooth, no rattles, great acceleration. I love this car. Still getting 28 mpg out of this V-6.

By bradhenson
on 01/29/14 07:44 AM (PST)

V6. We had a Juke that got totaled (it had a CVT and we loved it). This Altima is comfy and powerful, but exudes junkiness. The power steering pump makes a squealing, morse-code sounding noise (which they're going to try to fix for the 2nd time, and I won't hold my breath). The dash rattles like an old worn out car. The CVT Jerks around at low speeds and makes a clicky, whirring noise, like when we put a playing card in our bicycle spokes to make noise. Many folks have reported premature failure of the transmission, and I feel certain that mine is one of them. Nissan customer service folks put on a pretty good facade of caring, but if they cared about quality and their customers, they wouldn't peddle junk. I'll never buy another Nissan. I'm not going to spend all my free time sitting at a dealership waiting for them to fix something that should have been right to start with...

By bradhenson
on 02/11/14 16:46 PM (PST)

They should have dug a big hole and buried all of them and started over.

By oxman3
on 01/19/14 20:07 PM (PST)

1,000 miles & still running smooth as silk.

By bradhenson
on 01/24/14 12:59 PM (PST)

Glad you like yours. I've got 1500 miles on mine, and I'd have to tape a quarter to the hood before I buried it to say I'd lost something...

By bighair2
on 02/07/14 20:08 PM (PST)

We are getting 32 mpg, but our Nissan is so unsafe to drive and a piece of junk. We went to the BBB to fight to get our money back. I hope you have continued success with your Nissan.

By banddit
on 08/25/15 20:25 PM (PDT)

We now have had our 2013 3.5SV almost 2 years & have 25,000 miles on it. It still drives & rides like a dream. This is quite possibly the best automobile we have ever owned. Getting 29-30 mpg driving around the mountains. 35+ mpg on the freeway. We went back to the dealership to possible upgrade to a new automobile, but could not bring ourselves to part with this one as it's still like brand new. I love the CVT tranny.